Thread: Given thanks matters?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42
  1. #31  
    I need some more coffee

    Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,101
    Thanks given
    2,384
    Thanks received
    2,796
    Rep Power
    4343
    Quote Originally Posted by A Mage View Post
    It makes more sense to me to refer to a 'thanked post' as a 'supported post' and have a 'support' button rather than a 'thanks' button.
    Not really sure its worth changing though for what it is.
    Not necessarily. It depends on the context. A lot of this forums is about help/tutorials/snippets so it makes more sense to thank those threads and posts rather than (support) them. However, for project and advertisements it makes more sense to 'support' it than 'thank' it. It kind of depends on context.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. Thankful users:


  3. #32  
    Registered Member
    s1ckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks given
    255
    Thanks received
    455
    Rep Power
    2723
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Not necessarily. It depends on the context. A lot of this forums is about help/tutorials/snippets so it makes more sense to thank those threads and posts rather than (support) them. However, for project and advertisements it makes more sense to 'support' it than 'thank' it. It kind of depends on context.
    I think its really getting into semantics when you want to pit "support" against "thanks", albeit "supporting" a post is more general and all encompassing than "thanking" a post. That would be the argument to change it.

    As for removing the "thanks given" portion, I think there is some merit in keeping it. For example, a person who doesn't necessarily thank a lot of posts giving out a thanks carries more weight than someone that thanks a lot of posts. If someone gives out a lot of these then a "thank" from that person could carry less credibility. It's really just another number that can be used, in the right context, to judge who a person is on here (not saying it is the end all be all determinant on whether you should or shouldn't hire, associate, etc with a person, its just a very small part of it that doesn't hurt to have at our disposable).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #33  
    Highroller


    Thakiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    21
    Posts
    2,918
    Thanks given
    1,915
    Thanks received
    2,913
    Rep Power
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by Scu11 View Post
    It's a measure of how many posts you've thanked, nothing more and nothing less. I don't know why anyone would read anything further into it and obfuscating what this statistic truly means by calling it "support" instead of exactly what it is (the number of posts you've thanked) doesn't really help the situation.
    Yeah I'm not sure when people decided that a button anybody is free to click for any reason whatsoever is somehow indicative of "support" or in some way boosts their overall reputation in the community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    As you wrote earlier, you can increase and decrease the likes counter in any time. In my opinion, it should be turned off, because in order to get a thanks you have to deserve it and that's all.
    Since when do you have to "deserve" a thanks to get one? You can thank any post for any reason, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] I just thanked his post for absolutely nothing, he didn't "deserve" anything. Is his reputation in the community now greater because of that? Also, aren't you one of those guys in the group of a few idiots in the spam section who run around thanking anything and everything? Regardless of post content or what it has to do with?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    The main difference between received thanks and given thanks is that the received ones have to be earned. Given thanks is an arbitrary number that you can increase/decrease at will.
    Refer to the above point just replace "deserve" with "earn". Think about what you're saying - you said that given thanks are an arbitrary number increased at will... do you not realize that for every thanks given "arbitrarily at will", there's a thanks received?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    I feel like that's how the community treats every proposed change. "This is the way it's always been, so why change it" is a shitty argument tbh.
    Because people suggest change just for the sake of having it, with no real supporting backing for it other than they simply want it. Look at OP for reference, he suggests all this renaming of postbit information but never once indicates a valid reason as to why (his reasons were based on false theories that thanks mattered).

    In addition to that, why are we suddenly in this stage of progressiveness on this site? Why are we suggesting changes to menial things that haven't been touched in a decade anyway? This site is almost 13 years old, it has massively declined in populous from even a fraction of that timeframe ago, and sooner or later we're gonna be packing our shit and finding something else to post on. These progressive suggestions are pointless from the basis that nothing needs to be changed. Just leave the site alone and let it run its final course lmfao
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. Thankful user:


  6. #34  
    Registered Member
    s1ckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks given
    255
    Thanks received
    455
    Rep Power
    2723
    Quote Originally Posted by Thakiller View Post

    In addition to that, why are we suddenly in this stage of progressiveness on this site? Why are we suggesting changes to menial things that haven't been touched in a decade anyway? This site is almost 13 years old, it has massively declined in populous from even a fraction of that timeframe ago, and sooner or later we're gonna be packing our shit and finding something else to post on. These progressive suggestions are pointless from the basis that nothing needs to be changed. Just leave the site alone and let it run its final course lmfao
    Well you just gave a reason as to why some people may want to see change. Not saying anything is better or worse off with change. But just because something isn't a dramatic change on here doesn't mean it should be discounted off the bat. Also thanks do matter depending on the context. There's a million servers/projects on here and CBA to read through all of them, if I see a lot of thanks on the post then that's something that gets me interested in the server, it makes me want to keep reading about it to understand why it has all those thanks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. Thankful user:


  8. #35  
    BDP#Guardian

    Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,423
    Thanks given
    890
    Thanks received
    1,313
    Discord
    Stuart#6969
    Rep Power
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ckman View Post
    Well you just gave a reason as to why some people may want to see change. Not saying anything is better or worse off with change. But just because something isn't a dramatic change on here doesn't mean it should be discounted off the bat. Also thanks do matter depending on the context. There's a million servers/projects on here and CBA to read through all of them, if I see a lot of thanks on the post then that's something that gets me interested in the server, it makes me want to keep reading about it to understand why it has all those thanks.
    That's argument we needed. Let give Rune-Server a "course" to future, we don't need to stay in the same place for a 13 years. Let's give people a hand to small new changes.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #36  
    Registered Member
    Jigsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    347
    Thanks given
    211
    Thanks received
    167
    Discord
    Jesse#4900
    Rep Power
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Thakiller View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure when people decided that a button anybody is free to click for any reason whatsoever is somehow indicative of "support" or in some way boosts their overall reputation in the community.
    Since when do you have to "deserve" a thanks to get one? You can thank any post for any reason, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] I just thanked his post for absolutely nothing, he didn't "deserve" anything. Is his reputation in the community now greater because of that? Also, aren't you one of those guys in the group of a few idiots in the spam section who run around thanking anything and everything? Regardless of post content or what it has to do with?
    For the record, I wasn't trying to suggest that "thanks given" is actually a measure of support... Quite the opposite. I was being rhetorical/playing devil's advocate for why its existence was justified in the first place. Reread my post, it's pretty obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thakiller View Post
    you said that given thanks are an arbitrary number increased at will... do you not realize that for every thanks given "arbitrarily at will", there's a thanks received?
    Naturally. What's your point? It's arbitrary in the sense that it's a trivial stat to display in the postbit.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #37  
    Highroller


    Thakiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    21
    Posts
    2,918
    Thanks given
    1,915
    Thanks received
    2,913
    Rep Power
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ckman View Post
    Well you just gave a reason as to why some people may want to see change.
    No, that was a reason to NOT change, lmao.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    That's argument we needed. Let give Rune-Server a "course" to future, we don't need to stay in the same place for a 13 years. Let's give people a hand to small new changes.
    What "future" are you talking about? This site has no "future", this site will never see prosperous growth ever again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    For the record, I wasn't trying to suggest that "thanks given" is actually a measure of support... Quite the opposite. I was being rhetorical/playing devil's advocate for why its existence was justified in the first place. Reread my post, it's pretty obvious.
    My bad, I came back to the thread later on after leaving it open for a bit and never scrolled back through the posts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #38  
    Registered Member
    s1ckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks given
    255
    Thanks received
    455
    Rep Power
    2723
    Quote Originally Posted by Thakiller View Post
    No, that was a reason to NOT change, lmao.



    What "future" are you talking about? This site has no "future", this site will never see prosperous growth ever again.



    My bad, I came back to the thread later on after leaving it open for a bit and never scrolled back through the posts.
    That the site is old, dying, and we shouldn't change it because the changes most likely wont save it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #39  
    BDP#Guardian

    Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,423
    Thanks given
    890
    Thanks received
    1,313
    Discord
    Stuart#6969
    Rep Power
    5000
    So given thanks matters more than received from what Thakiller said. You are weirdo.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #40  
    Highroller


    Thakiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    21
    Posts
    2,918
    Thanks given
    1,915
    Thanks received
    2,913
    Rep Power
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ckman View Post
    That the site is old, dying, and we shouldn't change it because the changes most likely wont save it?
    Why are you trying to "save" it? How would this "save" Rune-Server? This is an RSPS development community; this community dying is a result of RSPS as a whole dying. At best, the remaining populous will hang around the same X servers (it's basically at that point now), and consequently there will be no demand for further RSPS development and this community dies anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    So given thanks matters more than received from what Thakiller said. You are weirdo.
    Where did I ever say that? I explicitly stated that the entire system is provides no value to anything and thus your reasoning behind reforming it are pointless. Why are you even suggestion these reformations when you can't even comprehend what the purpose of the system is let alone what people are saying to you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)


User Tag List

Similar Threads

  1. Help [Rep+ & Thanks Given]
    By Phat Stacks in forum Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM
  2. Help [Rep+ & Thanks Given]
    By Phat Stacks in forum Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 11:07 PM
  3. Help [Rep+ & Thanks Given]
    By Phat Stacks in forum Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 07:41 PM
  4. Help [Rep+ & Thanks Given]
    By Phat Stacks in forum Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
  5. Help [Rep+ & Thanks Given]
    By Phat Stacks in forum Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •