Thread: Important information regarding account security

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 Important information regarding account security 
    SERGEANT OF THE MASTER SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX!


    S Quare Quxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,722
    Thanks given
    1,835
    Thanks received
    4,537
    Rep Power
    5000
    Hello,

    A recent increase of account hijacking has come to our attention mainly in the form of impersonation to scam other members so this is a good time to list some good practices on how to keep your account safe and how to reduce the chances of getting fooled by an impersonator.

    Account security
    The following list should be especially followed by frequent market users, middlemen and other "high profile" members who may be referred to by others or easily deemed "trusted" from their appearance or reputation.

    • Never reuse passwords and make sure they're strong (16-21+ characters long with lower/upper case characters, numbers and special characters)
      • This is especially important with RSPS's and their forums/sites as they don't necessarily follow proper security practices to ensure the safety of your information
      • Use a password manager such as [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to generate strong passwords and store them
    • Enable 2-factor authentication
      • Announcement: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
      • I recommend using Authy instead of Google Authenticator as Authy can sync the codes across devices and is easier to backup
    • Use a separate e-mail account with two-factor authentication enabled


    Market users are recommended to list their contact and instant messaging information on their profile or in their signature once the account is secured. This reduces the chances of someone impersonating you off-forums.

    Spotting impersonators
    You should always spend a moment before exchanges to make sure you are talking to the right person.

    • Have them send you a private message on the forums if the deal starts on an instant messaging platform
      • This makes your deal eligible to be handled if you end up getting scammed as we don't deal with reports that haven't started on the forums
    • Check their username and previous usernames
      • Check I's from L's, zeros from O's and other possible deceptions
      • Rank and recent activity (posts, threads)
    • Match the instant messaging information of the account you are talking with with the listed contact information on the person's forum account
      • Again pay attention to I's and L's, zeros from O's and other deceptions


    In case you spot a hijacked account or an impersonator on the forums, post a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] with a filled format (found in the announcement) and notify a staff member.

    If you ever feel unsure about a situation or someone you are dealing with, you can ask a staff member for assistance with verifying. An alternative is to use a middleman but even with them you should go through the above list as they are also just regular members.

    Happy new year and a safe 2018,
    Rune-Server Staff
    Last edited by S Quare Quxx; 12-31-2017 at 12:58 AM.



    Reply With Quote  
     


  2. #2  
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    80
    Thanks given
    33
    Thanks received
    11
    Rep Power
    19
    Thanks for the information, sadly I'm not able to recover my old account, due to forgotten email.. :/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    SERGEANT OF THE MASTER SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX!


    S Quare Quxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,722
    Thanks given
    1,835
    Thanks received
    4,537
    Rep Power
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by zenomh View Post
    Thanks for the information, sadly I'm not able to recover my old account, due to forgotten email.. :/
    Have you tried? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    žecurity Ⱥnalyst
    Noele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    343
    Thanks given
    167
    Thanks received
    235
    Rep Power
    815
    I think a small step like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] would be helpful, as a lot of people are turning to discord to communicate their scam.
    Join the Zenyte discord below to keep up with the development, and grow with our community! Over 170 strong!
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Registered Gangster

    JustsayGang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    523
    Thanks given
    77
    Thanks received
    241
    Rep Power
    2764
    Quote Originally Posted by S Quare Quxx View Post
    Hello,

    A recent increase of account hijacking has come to our attention mainly in the form of impersonation to scam other members so this is a good time to list some good practices on how to keep your account safe and how to reduce the chances of getting fooled by an impersonator.

    Account security
    The following list should be especially followed by frequent market users, middlemen and other "high profile" members who may be referred to by others or easily deemed "trusted" from their appearance or reputation.

    • Never reuse passwords and make sure they're strong (16-21+ characters long with lower/upper case characters, numbers and special characters)
      • This is especially important with RSPS's and their forums/sites as they don't necessarily follow proper security practices to ensure the safety of your information
      • Use a password manager such as [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to generate strong passwords and store them
    • Enable 2-factor authentication
      • Announcement: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
      • I recommend using Authy instead of Google Authenticator as Authy can sync the codes across devices and is easier to backup
    • Use a separate e-mail account with two-factor authentication enabled


    Market users are recommended to list their contact and instant messaging information on their profile or in their signature once the account is secured. This reduces the chances of someone impersonating you off-forums.

    Spotting impersonators
    You should always spend a moment before exchanges to make sure you are talking to the right person.

    • Have them send you a private message on the forums if the deal starts on an instant messaging platform
      • This makes your deal eligible to be handled if you end up getting scammed as we don't deal with reports that haven't started on the forums
    • Check their username and previous usernames
      • Check I's from L's, zeros from O's and other possible deceptions
      • Rank and recent activity (posts, threads)
    • Match the instant messaging information of the account you are talking with with the listed contact information on the person's forum account
      • Again pay attention to I's and L's, zeros from O's and other deceptions


    In case you spot a hijacked account or an impersonator on the forums, post a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] with a filled format (found in the announcement) and notify a staff member.

    If you ever feel unsure about a situation or someone you are dealing with, you can ask a staff member for assistance with verifying. An alternative is to use a middleman but even with them you should go through the above list as they are also just regular members.

    Happy new year and a safe 2018,
    Rune-Server Staff
    Just Lock the inactive account like a simple system Verification mail to log
    Shouldn't be difficult to do in sq , like move all accounts "last login equals blaba" and move it into "validating" usergroup

    "Hacker" may be able to find the password , for the rs account since it's inactive but not the email.
    R-S Admin Response  <script>Gang just say gang.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  




    Scu11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,711
    Thanks given
    6,911
    Thanks received
    11,232
    Rep Power
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by Noele View Post
    I think a small step like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] would be helpful, as a lot of people are turning to discord to communicate their scam.
    Done


    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Kingpin of RSGP

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    144
    Thanks given
    70
    Thanks received
    30
    Rep Power
    79
    Good stuff. This was an announcement that needed making a long time ago to be honest.

    Edit, also just a quick question, shouldn't the Discord tag go under instant messaging section in the profile as opposed to the additional information?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    「セイギノミカタ」


    Thee Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,544
    Thanks given
    621
    Thanks received
    1,485
    Rep Power
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by S Quare Quxx View Post
    Hello,

    A recent increase of account hijacking has come to our attention mainly in the form of impersonation to scam other members so this is a good time to list some good practices on how to keep your account safe and how to reduce the chances of getting fooled by an impersonator.

    Account security
    The following list should be especially followed by frequent market users, middlemen and other "high profile" members who may be referred to by others or easily deemed "trusted" from their appearance or reputation.

    • Never reuse passwords and make sure they're strong (16-21+ characters long with lower/upper case characters, numbers and special characters)
      • This is especially important with RSPS's and their forums/sites as they don't necessarily follow proper security practices to ensure the safety of your information
      • Use a password manager such as [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to generate strong passwords and store them
    • Enable 2-factor authentication
      • Announcement: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
      • I recommend using Authy instead of Google Authenticator as Authy can sync the codes across devices and is easier to backup
    • Use a separate e-mail account with two-factor authentication enabled


    Market users are recommended to list their contact and instant messaging information on their profile or in their signature once the account is secured. This reduces the chances of someone impersonating you off-forums.

    Spotting impersonators
    You should always spend a moment before exchanges to make sure you are talking to the right person.

    • Have them send you a private message on the forums if the deal starts on an instant messaging platform
      • This makes your deal eligible to be handled if you end up getting scammed as we don't deal with reports that haven't started on the forums
    • Check their username and previous usernames
      • Check I's from L's, zeros from O's and other possible deceptions
      • Rank and recent activity (posts, threads)
    • Match the instant messaging information of the account you are talking with with the listed contact information on the person's forum account
      • Again pay attention to I's and L's, zeros from O's and other deceptions


    In case you spot a hijacked account or an impersonator on the forums, post a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] with a filled format (found in the announcement) and notify a staff member.

    If you ever feel unsure about a situation or someone you are dealing with, you can ask a staff member for assistance with verifying. An alternative is to use a middleman but even with them you should go through the above list as they are also just regular members.

    Happy new year and a safe 2018,
    Rune-Server Staff
    This should also be posted within the Knowledge Base for a more formal method of reference. Thanks for taking the time to type this up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Donator

    Mikey22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    181
    Thanks given
    39
    Thanks received
    25
    Rep Power
    113
    Have you guys ever thought about adding the Security code like Runemate has? Would help save alot of accounts and time on you're guys end
    ForsakenRSPS Creator/Dev in Training

    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    SERGEANT OF THE MASTER SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX!


    S Quare Quxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,722
    Thanks given
    1,835
    Thanks received
    4,537
    Rep Power
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey21 View Post
    Have you guys ever thought about adding the Security code like Runemate has? Would help save alot of accounts and time on you're guys end
    Whats that?



    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2016, 03:58 AM
  2. Information regarding models?
    By Eventide in forum Requests
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 12:59 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
  4. Information Regarding NL Hosting
    By Sub in forum Hosting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 11:12 PM
  5. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •