Thanks received
    oh and camera scroll zooming

Attached image

xxxxxxx

2. Thankful users:

pride, love, happiness
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    So what made you decide to use UE over Unity? I love UE and how it looks, but does it offer significant benefits over Unity?

Extreme Donator

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Looks awesome, love to see this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chaflie View Post
    So what made you decide to use UE over Unity? I love UE and how it looks, but does it offer significant benefits over Unity?
    Depends on how you like to work. Unreal engine does have a particularly good visual scripting system though.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Unity frustrated the flying fuck out of me. i mean it's great for people who want to drag and drop and google snippets but fuck I felt so powerless. It makes you go through so many hoops if you want to do things like optimization, or using other low-level stuff. On top of that I found the editor impractical, the library to be garbage and skinny, and I said it before but it's the most important key point: powerless.

In Unity if I had an issue in my code that didn't really originate from my own code (e.g. an exception deeper down in the engine originating from a call of mine) debugging became a hell. They don't give you the source code unless you go on one of their expensive licenses. With Unreal (being fully free, no restrictions aside from royalties) I can drop a debug breakpoint, find out why it crashes and move on. It's great, I love it and it gives me the power I needed.

Another point is how Unreal moves forward. They invest a LOT into R&D and every major update has features that actually are groundbreaking sometimes. They focus on performance at the same time, so you get a great mix. Low-end users can play just fine because of the optimization and high-end users can benefit from all the post-processing and rendering techniques that they've added. I'm bad at writing shaders too so I'd be clueless when it comes to adding bloom or post-processed AO.

On top of that, and yes you can pretty much make both look equal, I find that Unreal's shaders are better. More to finetune, more options.

I do have to say that Unreal isn't as mature despite it being UE4 - I believe it was a full rewrite instead of built ontop of UDK so there are things that don't work or bugs that occur. Then again I'm sure Unity would have those too albeit probably less often.

SOOOO yeah, that's why
    xxxxxxx

pride, love, happiness
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    Unity frustrated the flying fuck out of me. i mean it's great for people who want to drag and drop and google snippets but fuck I felt so powerless. It makes you go through so many hoops if you want to do things like optimization, or using other low-level stuff. On top of that I found the editor impractical, the library to be garbage and skinny, and I said it before but it's the most important key point: powerless.

In Unity if I had an issue in my code that didn't really originate from my own code (e.g. an exception deeper down in the engine originating from a call of mine) debugging became a hell. They don't give you the source code unless you go on one of their expensive licenses. With Unreal (being fully free, no restrictions aside from royalties) I can drop a debug breakpoint, find out why it crashes and move on. It's great, I love it and it gives me the power I needed.

Another point is how Unreal moves forward. They invest a LOT into R&D and every major update has features that actually are groundbreaking sometimes. They focus on performance at the same time, so you get a great mix. Low-end users can play just fine because of the optimization and high-end users can benefit from all the post-processing and rendering techniques that they've added. I'm bad at writing shaders too so I'd be clueless when it comes to adding bloom or post-processed AO.

On top of that, and yes you can pretty much make both look equal, I find that Unreal's shaders are better. More to finetune, more options.

I do have to say that Unreal isn't as mature despite it being UE4 - I believe it was a full rewrite instead of built ontop of UDK so there are things that don't work or bugs that occur. Then again I'm sure Unity would have those too albeit probably less often.

SOOOO yeah, that's why

Thanks for the detailed reply, boss

I've meddled with Unity long ago, but never dug my heels into it as I preferred Java for client & UI building. (still do)

However, once I'm finished up with my SWING project, I'm going to take a dip into Unreal and see what I can do with it. I'm eagerly watching what you do here, so keep up the good work my man.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Thanks for the detailed reply, boss

I've meddled with Unity long ago, but never dug my heels into it as I preferred Java for client & UI building. (still do)

However, once I'm finished up with my SWING project, I'm going to take a dip into Unreal and see what I can do with it. I'm eagerly watching what you do here, so keep up the good work my man.
    i surely will buddy and yeah keep me posted and hmu if you need help with it
    xxxxxxx

8. Thankful user:

Donator

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    playdoh scape. jk looks cool big head

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by 423 Million View Post
    playdoh scape. jk looks cool big head
    rude??? tf no chill bro
    ty ty
    xxxxxxx

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Project looks really good, that's a type of game I would play. Graphics are beautiful. How are the performance of the client(?), truly hope you're going to update the thread often so we can see your progress.
    Good luck Velocity.

Fake Love

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Really hope you stick with this, goodluck bro

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information