Thread: Proper chance calculations (For Beginners)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    The design of my loot table system is like this:

I might release it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeman8192 View Post
    Keep trying. Quitting is the only true failure.
    Spoiler for skrrrrr:

Attached image

Theory Wins?
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyluur View Post
    The design of my loot table system is like this:

I might release it.
    If you want an idea for improvement, you can toss explicitly defining each items weight individually and have your system create weight values dynamically. If that's done you can simply dump every drop off the wiki and you're good to go, but I'm just assuming your defining the weights be hand.

My original idea was to stay with the COMMON, UNCOMMON, RARE and VERY RARE format the wiki uses, but having weight logic calculated on collected data from dumping. Like again I'll use Corporeal Beast. On the wiki you know the chance to hit the other unique table is 1:516 or whatever. So that tells you right there that that total weight of the bucket containing all the drops outside of the unique table is 516. So given that you now know the bucket weight, you can actually dynamically assign weights to the corresponding flags of COMMON, UNCOMMON etc for that specific table. you'd have to come up with some formula though, I didn't think that far ahead, but like I said that was my original intention if I ever rewrote mine. But cool that someone besides myself is actually using this

3. Thankful user:

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfield View Post
    If you want an idea for improvement, you can toss explicitly defining each items weight individually and have your system create weight values dynamically. If that's done you can simply dump every drop off the wiki and you're good to go, but I'm just assuming your defining the weights be hand.

My original idea was to stay with the COMMON, UNCOMMON, RARE and VERY RARE format the wiki uses, but having weight logic calculated on collected data from dumping. Like again I'll use Corporeal Beast. On the wiki you know the chance to hit the other unique table is 1:516 or whatever. So that tells you right there that that total weight of the bucket containing all the drops outside of the unique table is 516. So given that you now know the bucket weight, you can actually dynamically assign weights to the corresponding flags of COMMON, UNCOMMON etc for that specific table. you'd have to come up with some formula though, I didn't think that far ahead, but like I said that was my original intention if I ever rewrote mine. But cool that someone besides myself is actually using this
    I may actually do so too, I've never actually witnessed this type of system before.

But I'm having a hard time understanding one thing,

How does this affect multiple drops at once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached image
    Attached image

Theory Wins?
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    You can just set a flavor variable for tables if they have more than one drop, not including drops that are gaurenteed. Like in my system I have 5 tables that can all be rolled on, STATIC which are 100% drops, DYNAMIC which is the normal loot table, PET because that's always been an individual table, CHARM because the charm table is seperate on Rs also and UNIQUE which handles bosses that have a unique table for special drops(not all do like KBD, its drops are in the normal table. )

But as far as a static table goes, my system is very old and I haven't touched it in about 2 years. It could use some improvements, like the article says, you can add 100% drops to the normal table and just assign a weight of 0 to flag those 100% items.

6. Thankful user:

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    You can just set a flavor variable for tables if they have more than one drop, not including drops that are gaurenteed. Like in my system I have 5 tables that can all be rolled on, STATIC which are 100% drops, DYNAMIC which is the normal loot table, PET because that's always been an individual table, CHARM because the charm table is seperate on Rs also and UNIQUE which handles bosses that have a unique table for special drops(not all do like KBD, its drops are in the normal table. )

But as far as a static table goes, my system is very old and I haven't touched it in about 2 years. It could use some improvements, like the article says, you can add 100% drops to the normal table and just assign a weight of 0 to flag those 100% items.
    Ahh okay I understand now, thank you for the explanation. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached image
    Attached image

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received

I wanted my system require the developer to design the weights by hand so it can be used for different purposes, not just NPC drops. For instance, I used it to calculate loot from mystery boxes as well, which requires a custom weighting system. It's going to have more uses than just the two I just previously mentioned btw. I didn't even think about dynamically weighing the values when I was designing it because that wouldn't have fit the purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeman8192 View Post
    Keep trying. Quitting is the only true failure.
    Spoiler for skrrrrr:

Attached image

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information