Thread: Linux & RSPS help

1. #1 Linux & RSPS help 
    Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I am new to both Linux and RSPS development. The last two weeks i have lost the count of how many times i've tried making my own RSPS.
    I've watched too many guides and i am still lost. The server i've tried most is Ruse, ive been watching and reading forum threads/posts.

As a start i just want to run the server local at my PC.
    I must be retarded and need a guide with a HUGE SPOON.

List of stuff i don't understand

Difference of (Source Run.bat & Compiler.bat) and (Client Run.bat & Compiler.bat) i know that linux cant run bat files so i edited file name to remove .bat

What is Secure Shell (SSH) and what is it used for?

I open the files with gedit to edit the text, this is original text from the file Source Compiler.Bat
    "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_45\bin\javac.exe" -d bin -cp lib/*;src src\com\ruseps\GameServer.java
    pause
    i know ; should be : What do i have to type in the diffrent files is this wrong and something i've forgot?

What i have and know by now.

Downloaded FullRusePacakage.zip and unzipped with password swiffy123.
    Downloaded latest java.jdk version 111 and i did edited the version from 45 to 111 in gedit at Source Compiler.Bat Run.Bat and Client Compiler.Bat Run.Bat.

I want to thank Logan for some help to get me further than where i was.
    And Swiffy for releasing Ruse i dont know why but Swiffy is sadly banned.
    Last edited by susan; 01-18-2017 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Trying to make a nice thread im new to the forum.

Renown Programmer
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    You can't just rename .bat and run it on linux, you'd need to write you're own shell script to do that.

You're not compiling and running the server correctly, take a look at ant, gradle or maven to do that properly. I would recommend not using Linux. Beginners find it hard enough to compile and run using and IDE on windows. Speaking of which why aren't you using eclipse or another IDE to do all this?

SSH is a protocol used for securely transferring files e.g from local machine to web server
    Attached imageAttached image

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You can't just rename .bat and run it on linux, you'd need to write you're own shell script to do that.

You're not compiling and running the server correctly, take a look at ant, gradle or maven to do that properly. I would recommend not using Linux. Beginners find it hard enough to compile and run using and IDE on windows. Speaking of which why aren't you using eclipse or another IDE to do all this?

SSH is a protocol used for securely transferring files e.g from local machine to web server
    Well i've been looking through guides and it looks pretty easy at windows so i tried create a virtual machine and run it thru that but got error about not enough space.
    Well Thank you very much now i will be work with IDE and that stuff you have mentioned above

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I have now read about the stuff mentioned above (SSH, ant, gradle, maven, eclipse).

I have downloaded eclipse neon.

what else is nessesary to download.
    I havent found any good guide new beginner guide for ant, gradle and maven so i was hoping someone could post the download links or guide.

To Greg thank you very much for the great post

Thread Information