Thread: Java programming

1. #1 Java programming 
    Get smacked
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Is anyone in the actual Java Programmer/Computer science Field? Or studying for it?
    I am a senior in high school and still looking for a career to pursue and saw the salary on that and was
    shocked to see it's not bad at all. I want to get to know how it's like from someone else's view and their thoughts
    about it.

Head Veteran and Respected Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    It's not a career that you just finish school and wham-o you have a job and you're set for life. The learning, unlike a good portion of careers, doesn't just halt after school. You're constantly learning and adapting to the ever-changing world of programming. If you can't keep up consistently you sink. You have to be dedicated to learning for the rest of your career, not just getting by school to get a good paying job.

3. Thankful users:

Bossman

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    In university, studying Computer Science.
    Like Killer said, keep up to date with everything tech related, not just programming. Keep up with new processor architectures, new networking stuff, the latest hacks, the latest tech companies and what they're up to. Take everything you see online into account and think about which part of the industry you're interested in.

Like the other day I watched a documentary about a start-up who built and programmed Pizza making robots. If food is your thing, pursue food related tech. Shit like that y'know?

5. Thankful users:

Aspiring Physicist

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    What the people above me said is agreeable but it shouldn't make you not consider stepping into the field. If you become a scientist, you'll have to keep up with the new discoveries that are being made every day, have to read all those research papers and stuff. A literature artist will spend his time not only writing literature but also reading that written by other people.

Also, by the way, computer programming is just a thing computer scientists use to do the stuff that they want. You can do a lot more than developing games, android apps and stuff like that. There is a whole branch of computer science that deals with understanding how the brain works and making machines that work just like out brain, it's called Artificial Intelligence. If you like maths and want to think of making new algorithms that can improve security and everything then cryptography is for you.

Computer Scientists don't just write little softwares but also work on things like NASA does - satellites, mars rovers that can think for themselves. The technology that doctors use like MRI, CT scan, EEG, etc. wouldn't have been out if there were no computer scientists. A lot of companies are looking into producing autonomous cars, vacuum cleaners etc.

If you feel like you enjoy computer programming, don't think of just learning how to program in Java, but learn computer science in general and then you can pick a specialization.
    R.I.P.
    Alex "Impulser" Camilleri
    1993-2015
    [Aged : 21]

7. Thankful users:

🎬 Video Editor

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I'm a beginner myself, currently taking my 2nd Programming Principles course in college where we've just got into Java classes and objects. I'd say going to college and pursuing Computer Science won't magically transform you into a Comp Sci genius, but will definitely put you on the correct path when it comes to being consistent and setting a strong foundation of knowledge. The real decider of your intelligence though is working on individual projects and intense research. I know many programmers that have been coding for years and still can't build an RSPS from scratch; however, there are those who pick it up very fast and are able to do multitudes of things.

What I'm saying is Computer Science is one of those fields that allow those who can think their way out of things to prosper (like sports), which is why it pays very well. I'm promoting individual research and practice because if you were to get a job, but fail to complete 50% of the tasks, the job won't be as easy because of the lack of experience. Like a sport, if you want to make every shot in basketball, practice from all angles and for different scenarios like dunks or layups. For me, I practice by looking at exercises in Java Books or updating my RSPS. I also keep up with the latest tech news on YouTube and other article sites to spur my interest daily. Anyways, good luck with your endeavors. All you really need is a passion to think critically. If you keep that, it will get to a point where a salary can't even measure your capabilities.

9. Thankful user:

Thread Information