Thread: Graphics Major

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Graphics Major 

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Hi guys, i got a question. So i asked my lecturer if I want to major in UI/UX design what is the closest course that somewhat relates to that subject offered by the uni?

He told me Graphics Communication, so I'm thinking after this year (foundation year in graphics) choosing that major.

Why? because I am interested in learning User Interface design and becoming a master in it, because I want to work for a games company. That is my dream. Perhaps Blizzard in future? I will do my best.

Do you guys think that I will be able to make a living out of Graphics Communication? It also involves Website Designing etc...

List of options I have:

- Graphics Design
    - Graphics Design for Publishing
    - Graphics Communication

Banned
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    as long as you can keep up with the programs and improve everyday, you will find a way to make a living out of it. Dont just count on a major or anything else, at the end its how much time you dedicate to improve and get better to prove that you can do anything.
    Also, knowing to do multiple things is better than being good in one thing.

|Vernox Beta | Play Now
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Those all looks great man. If interest in some work, send me a PM!
    Keep up the great work.

4. Thankful user:

Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    You atleast need to be fine in doing it all and be lucky to get a job without angry directors and lead designers who will ruin your whole passion for grefix, however office jobs most likely will offer about 2-4k euro per month depending on where you live. As for freelancing, unless you spend 5 years to get recognizable as a designer and enough clients, or to get in an agency and make them get you clients will take years. New freelancers never get jobs, they might do, but most likely not or if they do its a budget job. But freelancing in the end is really better, experience in the office/studio with a proper team is amazing too. Dont get your hopes up anyway, you'll probably never work in blizzard, those designers are amatuer newbies who work for gaming companies anyway and they dont really make more than anyone else, goodluck tho!

6. Thankful users:

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by menth View Post
    You atleast need to be fine in doing it all and be lucky to get a job without angry directors and lead designers who will ruin your whole passion for grefix, however office jobs most likely will offer about 2-4k euro per month depending on where you live. As for freelancing, unless you spend 5 years to get recognizable as a designer and enough clients, or to get in an agency and make them get you clients will take years. New freelancers never get jobs, they might do, but most likely not or if they do its a budget job. But freelancing in the end is really better, experience in the office/studio with a proper team is amazing too. Dont get your hopes up anyway, you'll probably never work in blizzard, those designers are amatuer newbies who work for gaming companies anyway and they dont really make more than anyone else, goodluck tho!
    Ahh I see, what do u mean those designers are amateur newbies who work for gaming companies? if thats the case then why would Blizzard hire them, where is the evidence and proof for this? and isn't Blizzard a huge company that generates allot of money? i'm pretty sure it pays its employees well and they give good benefits. Besides tbh I'm thinking of just freelancing at the end and working for some business.

The reason why I said Blizzard is because I'm interested in working for a company that produces games. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the environment of that.

"you'll probably never work in blizzard"

Never? I'll prove you wrong if I'm really down to work for them. May take 5 years, 10 years, 15 years. I don't care how long. I'm not expecting you to sugar coat me or anything, but you're always pessimistic when it comes to something that I want to achieve. I don't get why do you keep doing this, always giving a negative attitude.

Whatever I want to do, i will do it. The experience will teach me what I should do and what I shouldn't be doing for myself in order to become better. I listened to the advice of other people in the past, and guess what? always doing that took me down through the shit hole. So i'm gonna be taking my own decisions now.

8. Thankful user:

caught in the quicksands of time

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Just read the units and the course outline then pick the one that better suits you. Don't let someone decide for you

Apps are now growing exponentially compared to the semi erratic conditions during the 2011-2013/4 period, all companies now have facebook and twitter accounts. Soon they'll all have youtube accounts or have their own video streaming apps (Companies are now offering huge commissions to content creators, CNN is leading the charge). All these platforms rely on graphics design.

Jobs for designers also depends on where you live, In the US the average graphics designer gets around 40 - 50k out of uni.

If you want to work for a big company like blizzard you'll need experience, they would most likely take someone with a degree in graphics design over some god graphics designer that could sell their work for millions. Although you still might want to buy a tablet and start learning to draw. You will also want to get a internship at the closest opportunity, ideally for a game company in the type of graphics work that you want to do at Blizzard or at Blizzard itself (it will also give you a chance to test the water). Just realise that working at a company like that would be a bit constrictive and you'll probably be working with teams (though gaming companies might just get a bad rap).

Alternatively, you already have the Ash Designs thing going and you can keep that going while making an account at sites like upwork and konker which are freelancing sites where companies will pay big big bucks for stuff like simple logos.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your endeavours.

Attached image

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by 4usq View Post
    Just read the units and the course outline then pick the one that better suits you. Don't let someone decide for you

Apps are now growing exponentially compared to the semi erratic conditions during the 2011-2013/4 period, all companies now have facebook and twitter accounts. Soon they'll all have youtube accounts or have their own video streaming apps (Companies are now offering huge commissions to content creators, CNN is leading the charge). All these platforms rely on graphics design.

Jobs for designers also depends on where you live, In the US the average graphics designer gets around 40 - 50k out of uni.

If you want to work for a big company like blizzard you'll need experience, they would most likely take someone with a degree in graphics design over some god graphics designer that could sell their work for millions. Although you still might want to buy a tablet and start learning to draw. You will also want to get a internship at the closest opportunity, ideally for a game company in the type of graphics work that you want to do at Blizzard or at Blizzard itself (it will also give you a chance to test the water). Just realise that working at a company like that would be a bit constrictive and you'll probably be working with teams (though gaming companies might just get a bad rap).

Alternatively, you already have the Ash Designs thing going and you can keep that going while making an account at sites like upwork and konker which are freelancing sites where companies will pay big big bucks for stuff like simple logos.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your endeavours.
    Appreciate it man.

If I do UI/UX that still relates to apps doesn't it? app designing will also be interesting to master.

Designer

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I have never seen graphics in a way to make a living out of people tell that the gfx business is very competetive and not very high paid, but if your passion is there then there is no1 to stop you. if i were to study graphics i would choose a broad study to learn as much as possible

Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Slyther View Post
    Ahh I see, what do u mean those designers are amateur newbies who work for gaming companies? if thats the case then why would Blizzard hire them, where is the evidence and proof for this? and isn't Blizzard a huge company that generates allot of money? i'm pretty sure it pays its employees well and they give good benefits. Besides tbh I'm thinking of just freelancing at the end and working for some business.

The reason why I said Blizzard is because I'm interested in working for a company that produces games. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the environment of that.

"you'll probably never work in blizzard"

Never? I'll prove you wrong if I'm really down to work for them. May take 5 years, 10 years, 15 years. I don't care how long. I'm not expecting you to sugar coat me or anything, but you're always pessimistic when it comes to something that I want to achieve. I don't get why do you keep doing this, always giving a negative attitude.

Whatever I want to do, i will do it. The experience will teach me what I should do and what I shouldn't be doing for myself in order to become better. I listened to the advice of other people in the past, and guess what? always doing that took me down through the shit hole. So i'm gonna be taking my own decisions now.
    pessimism is probably a part of my personality. gaming companies aren't something to achieve and you'll change your opinion about all this after uni, since you'll refine your taste in every aspect.

and the reason why I called them amateurs is because they are, they gaming industry designs are most likely going to be themed into something, which makes it very limited, so the best you can do is add a little bit of progression to the theme and re-create it in your way. their designs are poop, literally done for the mass to enjoy, nothing progressive, nothing new, basically like recycled trash.
    that also depends on what kind of design we are talking about though, if you need 3d/tx experience for sure, you'll go the right way. some of the game designers are nice though and I really enjoy a few, but talking about UI/UX then I believe I'm atleast a bit right.

gaming industry is really irrelevant to the current visual communication and further graphical movement, atleast in the moment.
    will that lead you somewhere further? dunno.

also no need to be so sure about yourself because people lead theirselves to shit sometimes too.

Anyway you are asking for advice and then you're saying that you basically don't need it, confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strade View Post
    I have never seen graphics in a way to make a living out of people tell that the gfx business is very competetive and not very high paid, but if your passion is there then there is no1 to stop you. if i were to study graphics i would choose a broad study to learn as much as possible
    you know nothing, jon snow!

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by menth View Post
    pessimism is probably a part of my personality. gaming companies aren't something to achieve and you'll change your opinion about all this after uni, since you'll refine your taste in every aspect.

and the reason why I called them amateurs is because they are, they gaming industry designs are most likely going to be themed into something, which makes it very limited, so the best you can do is add a little bit of progression to the theme and re-create it in your way. their designs are poop, literally done for the mass to enjoy, nothing progressive, nothing new, basically like recycled trash.
    that also depends on what kind of design we are talking about though, if you need 3d/tx experience for sure, you'll go the right way. some of the game designers are nice though and I really enjoy a few, but talking about UI/UX then I believe I'm atleast a bit right.

gaming industry is really irrelevant to the current visual communication and further graphical movement, atleast in the moment.
    will that lead you somewhere further? dunno.

also no need to be so sure about yourself because people lead theirselves to shit sometimes too.

Anyway you are asking for advice and then you're saying that you basically don't need it, confusing.

you know nothing, jon snow!
    Oh that's more clearer now, makes sense.

What I meant was is that I keep listening and doing what people tell me rather than stopping and thinking about what they say before I take an action, that is what I meant. I always assume the advisers advice is always right, and that is something that I need to change.

Anyways based on what you said I do agree with some stuff you said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information