Thread: Inexplicable server lag...

1. #1 Inexplicable server lag... 
    EXALTED

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Hey guys, happy new year! I've been having very odd lag with my server after about 10 - 14 hours of uptime. Basically, my server would begin lagging in bursts and the time would be random from every 3 minutes to every 30 seconds, now although it is lagging and users can move, for most of the instances the players can still chat but they cannot move! Eventually the lag would happen every few seconds and the player would be stalled when they try to move, but they can still chat. There are no errors being output into the console which is what is confusing me most. I've checked the memory during the lag and the total usage (for all programs on the pc together) is only 50% of the available ram which is about 1900MB. So even if there is a memory leak I've taken it out of the equation because unless I'm mistaken it'd only lag after it eats up all of my memory. I'm running my server on CentOS if that matters, any help or theories would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Bossman

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Are you renting a virtual server? If so it could be down to your host over-provisioning the VM host machine, possibly. If not it might be down to the VM's internet connection, might be worth running a download and an upload test on it.

EXALTED

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by ISAI View Post
    Are you renting a virtual server? If so it could be down to your host over-provisioning the VM host machine, possibly. If not it might be down to the VM's internet connection, might be worth running a download and an upload test on it.
    It's an Unmanaged Linux VPS so I doubt it's being over-provisioned. I'll run an upload and download test in a bit but I doubt this is the case because it's consistently only lagging at the 10-14 hour mark.

Owner of Dawntained

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    i'd start by adding debug prints that show how long each game cycle takes, make seperate ones for npc tick, player tick, object tick etc
    Attached image

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    If your players can talk, but cannot run/walk, your game engine probably crashed/stalled, find out what caused that exception.

EXALTED

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgt Madness View Post
    i'd start by adding debug prints that show how long each game cycle takes, make seperate ones for npc tick, player tick, object tick etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylurr View Post
    If your players can talk, but cannot run/walk, your game engine probably crashed/stalled, find out what caused that exception.
    Alright I'll start debugging then, I hope I can figure this out, it's getting ridiculous. Thanks for your input.

Thread Information