Thread: Gaming PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Gaming PC 
    Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Hey guys, recently I decided to change my computer, from a laptop with poor graphic cards and cpu to a gaming desktop computer. I'm not really sure if I should buy a pre-made one even if I know it cost less when building it by yourself, but I've found something for around ~1300$ CAD. Here's the spec

CPU : Intel Core i7 4th Gen 4790K (4.0 GHz)
    GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4 GB
    HDD : 2 TB SATA (Had the possibility to choose a SSD of 120GB over an HDD of 2TB)
    Power supply : 600W
    Motherboard : Chipset -> Intel Z97
    RAM : 8GB (Up to 32)
    Ports : 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0

Price : 1299.99$ CAD

Comes with a mouse, better than what I have right now lol and a keyboard.

Or I could possibly buy everything and build something myself, I know how, but never used to build something like that.

Also, what do you guys think about the power supply, wanted some different opinion because I don't know a lot about computer and don't really want the power supply to over heat.

Any feedback is appreciated, if you have something better to share or a different build I should buy, feel free to share.
    Thanks.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    if you are going to use it for gaming maybe get a gtx 1060 it's not overly expensive, and possibly get an i5 cpu if you need to spread costs to get more for gpu

3. Thankful user:

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Vippy View Post
    if you are going to use it for gaming maybe get a gtx 1060 it's not overly expensive, and possibly get an i5 cpu if you need to spread costs to get more for gpu
    I thought about that at the beginning, yes. My friend got a graphic card with less video memory and he his able to run pretty much everything at 60 FPS on a 60GHz monitor, he would probably get more. So I don't really know if I go with this card and upgrade later when I have enough fund. Not sure if there's a significant difference between an i7-4790k and an i5-6700ish

rage against the dying of the light

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Delinquent View Post
    I thought about that at the beginning, yes. My friend got a graphic card with less video memory and he his able to run pretty much everything at 60 FPS on a 60GHz monitor, he would probably get more. So I don't really know if I go with this card and upgrade later when I have enough fund. Not sure if there's a significant difference between an i7-4790k and an i5-6700ish
    The primary difference between the i7-4790k and an i7-6700k is the new Skylake microarchitecure. I would personally advise upgrading to Skylake so you have support for newer technology like RAM, motherboards, memory, etc. In regard to the graphics card, I'm not sure if your friend plays games from the 90's, but anything less than a GTX 960 would struggle to push most current-generation games at 60 fps. I have an R9 390 and I sometimes struggle to maintain 60 fps on high settings. I concur with the suggestion of a GTX 1060 at the very least.

6. Thankful user:

'Slutty McFur'

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I'd say get an SSD instead.
    You could always get an external hard drive at a later date if you need it.

8. Thankful user:

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrowin View Post
    The primary difference between the i7-4790k and an i7-6700k is the new Skylake microarchitecure. I would personally advise upgrading to Skylake so you have support for newer technology like RAM, motherboards, memory, etc. In regard to the graphics card, I'm not sure if your friend plays games from the 90's, but anything less than a GTX 960 would struggle to push most current-generation games at 60 fps. I have an R9 390 and I sometimes struggle to maintain 60 fps on high settings. I concur with the suggestion of a GTX 1060 at the very least.
    I'm not sure what he has but he's able to play some games with high settings like GTA V, Arma 3, Rainbow Six, DayZ etc. even if he got a 3GB graphics card.
    I don't know, I could possibly upgrade later on, even if it would be better to get it asap. Didn't know about the Skylake microarchitecture, will search around to find some info, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A Mage View Post
    I'd say get an SSD instead.
    You could always get an external hard drive at a later date if you need it.
    I was thinking about that, even tho, the prices is way higher than an HDD haha. To be honest, I never used to get an SSD before and I'm fine with an HDD, not entirely sure what I should do

Thanks for your answer guys.

rage against the dying of the light

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I'm not sure what he has but he's able to play some games with high settings like GTA V, Arma 3, Rainbow Six, DayZ etc. even if he got a 3GB graphics card.
    I don't know, I could possibly upgrade later on, even if it would be better to get it asap. Didn't know about the Skylake microarchitecture, will search around to find some info, thanks
    I can assure you that he doesn't play GTA at high settings with 60 fps. I struggle to maintain 60 fps with a much larger and faster card. Arma 3 is generally not too graphically intensive, but games like DayZ and H1Z1 never run quite properly, it seems.

I was thinking about that, even tho, the prices is way higher than an HDD haha. To be honest, I never used to get an SSD before and I'm fine with an HDD, not entirely sure what I should do
    SSDs are solid state drives, which retrieve data electronically, which is much faster than traditional HDDs. An HDD is a mechanical drive that uses a platter to save and load data. Think of a mechanical as a very complex record player. The main use of SSDs are extremely quick load times. My Windows boot time is right around 10 seconds, going from cold boot, logging in, and launching Chrome. It's pretty insane and a very worthwhile investment.

11. Thankful user:

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrowin View Post
    I can assure you that he doesn't play GTA at high settings with 60 fps. I struggle to maintain 60 fps with a much larger and faster card. Arma 3 is generally not too graphically intensive, but games like DayZ and H1Z1 never run quite properly, it seems.
    Will ask him when he'll be back

SSDs are solid state drives, which retrieve data electronically, which is much faster than traditional HDDs. An HDD is a mechanical drive that uses a platter to save and load data. Think of a mechanical as a very complex record player. The main use of SSDs are extremely quick load times. My Windows boot time is right around 10 seconds, going from cold boot, logging in, and launching Chrome. It's pretty insane and a very worthwhile investment.
    Hmm you make me want to buy one, haha. Any recommendation of SSD ? I mean, what do you have ?

Thank you so much for your feedback, always enjoy talking about computer and honestly I desesperatly want someone to give me some ideas of what I should / shouldn't do if I buy a computer, mostly because it's my first real one and with my own money haha, that's exactly what I wanted, so thanks again
    Will check out the price of some of them, I could potentially use a SSD mainly for windows etc and buy an HDD for games etc, no ?

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I built a setup on pcpartpicker until I realized you used CAD. Fuck me, right? I'd use AMD since the amount of money that you have available (I'm assuming) is quite short. AMD clocks faster than intel most of the time and allows for more money to be spent on the GPU. Monitor is optional, not sure if you have one but I'd recommend a decent one like the BenQ.

A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Strix, SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

14. Thankful user:

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by muntuna View Post
    I built a setup on pcpartpicker until I realized you used CAD. Fuck me, right? I'd use AMD since the amount of money that you have available (I'm assuming) is quite short. AMD clocks faster than intel most of the time and allows for more money to be spent on the GPU. Monitor is optional, not sure if you have one but I'd recommend a decent one like the BenQ.

A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Strix, SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker
    Thanks for the build, in CAD it comes to around 1431,85$ CAD, not too bad, I could even remove the monitor you've added, but if I build all of that, I don't want to break anything haha. Not sure what I should do the gtx 1060 is very interesting and never really got into AMD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information