Thread: Gaming PC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Delinquent View Post
    Thanks for the build, in CAD it comes to around 1431,85$ CAD, not too bad, I could even remove the monitor you've added, but if I build all of that, I don't want to break anything haha. Not sure what I should do the gtx 1060 is very interesting and never really got into AMD
    I literally finished building my first pc two days ago, I only have an ssd atm no hdd, I got the samsung evo 500gb ssd.

2. Thankful user:

rage against the dying of the light

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Delinquent View Post
    Hmm you make me want to buy one, haha. Any recommendation of SSD ? I mean, what do you have? ... I could potentially use a SSD mainly for windows etc and buy an HDD for games etc, no ?
    I bought my first solid state when Newegg was having a Christmas sale of some sort, so I got it relatively cheap. I technically own the 240GB variant of the Kingston HyperX Fury. More specifically, I own the Cloud9 edition of the drive, which is a 'special edition' of sorts, so it's a bit harder to come by and unnecessarily more expensive. The only reason I bought this one is because it was cheaper than the original when I bought it.

There are three key features that you should probably pay attention to when shopping for a solid state: the size, the usage, and the cost. Personally, I use a combination of cloud, mechanical, and solid state storage to suit my needs. I use my One Drive to store all of my documents, pictures, and music and I use my mechanical drive to store games and backup files. The only files on my solid state are my operating system, programs, and selected files from my cloud that I want to sync on a normal basis; i.e., my most popularly used documents and programming files for a hope of quicker load time in Eclipse and whatnot. I have the typical suite of software - Microsoft Office, RuneScape, etc - along with a few of the Adobe Creative Suite programs, yet I still have about 100gb of free space left.

I hate being asked to recommend products to people due to the variability of someone's needs, but I would rather suggest a couple of lines of solid state drives that I know are quality and let you decide what you need from there. Almost all solid state drives function identically, it's only a matter of marginally improved read/write times and the inclusion of some fancy technology. I would advise to buy your memory from companies who are known for making quality products in this category such as Samsung, Sandisk, and Kingston. Not only do you have a reassurance that your component will work fine based on the benchmarks that other people have found, but the mainstream companies often include a fairly lengthy manufacturer warranty, just in case anything does go wrong. As always, I strongly suggest the use of a cloud backup service such as Mega, Dropbox, One Drive, or Google Drive.

The two lines of solid state drives I would suggest are the Samsung EVO series and the HyperX Fury series. I don't want to recommend the Sandisk drives only because I haven't had firsthand experience with them, but I will note that I almost strictly use Sandisk for my flash drives, and they seem to work fine. The HyperX Fury series is pretty straightforward in a sense that the only differences between each product is the capacity. The Samsung EVO series, however, is a bit more complex in that it has two sub-categories: the 750-series and the 850-series. The key difference between these two series is the inclusion of V-NAND technology on the 850-series drives. V-NAND (or vertical NAND, for long) is a data retrieval system in which the NAND cells (the cells in which your data is stored) are aligned both horizontally and vertically for, theoretically, quicker loading times. This technology seems to be fairly true, given that this UserBenchmark indicates that the effective speed of the EVO 850 is over 30% higher than that of the EVO 750, along with significantly quicker read/write times. I personally would choose the 850 EVO, given the much quicker processing times, because it seems like the more cost effective purchase.

I should note that there is a 950 EVO series, but that's in M.2, which is another beast in itself and about double the price. To be honest, it's really not worth it in my opinion. Hopefully some of this helped, and feel free to ask as many questions as you would like! I'd be glad to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by muntuna View Post
    I built a setup on pcpartpicker until I realized you used CAD. Fuck me, right? I'd use AMD since the amount of money that you have available (I'm assuming) is quite short. AMD clocks faster than intel most of the time and allows for more money to be spent on the GPU. Monitor is optional, not sure if you have one but I'd recommend a decent one like the BenQ.
    I'm not exactly sure why you suggested the use of an AMD processor. Starting from the top, the PC part picker list that you linked includes both an AMD APU with integrated graphics, as well as a GTX 1060. As I recall, an APU does not allow (or maybe it's just more difficult, I don't remember for sure) for the usage of another graphical processing source, given that the APU already essentially has a built-in GPU. One way or the other, you're missing out on graphics, whether integrated or dedicated, and wasting the resources... plus for anyone who wants to play something other than Town of Salem and browser games, I would advise nothing below the 7000-series. They're cheap anyhow, so you should be able to justify the purchase of a really nice APU, should you absolutely need one.

Regardless of the graphic discrepancies, the only aspect that AMD is competitive with Intel in is the price. Please note: I am an AMD user, I have an AMD FX-8350 in my current machine, but an Intel would be so much more useful. For instance, CAD utilizes a 3D rendering that, when paired with a decent graphics card, can make use of hyperthreading, a leisure that is not available for AMD users. Some programs can make use of multiple cores, but even then, hyperthreading allows multiple threads per core work cooperatively toward one task, accomplishing that task long before an AMD processor could. In truth, an investment in even an i5 would be fitting for this build, given that he uses programs that can make use of hyperthreading to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vippy View Post
    I literally finished building my first pc two days ago, I only have an ssd atm no hdd, I got the samsung evo 500gb ssd.
    I sort of helped! You did great!

4. Thankful users:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($419.25 @ B&H)
    Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1043.55
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-04 23:22 EDT-0400

Attached image
    Attached image

Higher cpu benchmarks, newer architecture, lower TDP.

Also includes a 1070 instead of a 1060

Attached image
    Attached image

6. Thankful user:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information