Thread: sb only mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 sb only mods 
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    give a few of the mature active sb users power to prune and maybe like ban for an hour
    haha lol
    Last edited by Planets; 09-18-2016 at 12:32 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Terrible idea. It would be easy for the users that held those powers to abuse them without the staff team being able to monitor it. Also, just because there has been a situation in the shoutbox where a certain user broke the rules without a moderator being online to quickly deal with it, doesn't immediately mean the staff team alone isn't enough to enforce the rules (despite what other users may say).

What happened yesterday is something rare, it happens like once or maybe twice every year. Not often enough to warrant giving 'normal' users extra powers.

3. Thankful user:

Respected MemberKoy

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
    Terrible idea. It would be easy for the users that held those powers to abuse them without the staff team being able to monitor it. Also, just because there has been a situation in the shoutbox where a certain user broke the rules without a moderator being online to quickly deal with it, doesn't immediately mean the staff team alone isn't enough to enforce the rules (despite what other users may say).

What happened yesterday is something rare, it happens like once or maybe twice every year. Not often enough to warrant giving 'normal' users extra powers.
    eh i'd argue its more than twice are year, maybe once every 2-3 weeks.
    but i see ur point well made.

5. Thankful users:

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance View Post
    eh i'd argue its more than twice are year, maybe once every 2-3 weeks.
    but i see ur point well made.
    I am talking about exceptional occasions, a user in the shoutbox trying to spread a virus for example. Simple offences like flame or spam can be reported and will be dealt with accordingly, absolutely no reason to add extra 'moderators' for that.

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
    Terrible idea. It would be easy for the users that held those powers to abuse them without the staff team being able to monitor it.
    Please correct me if i'm wrong, but if the sb 'moderators' would abuse their powers, wouldn't simply well known and 'trusted' individuals be able to report the user ? After that moderators or administrators could take care of the user in question.

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by N3M View Post
    Please correct me if i'm wrong, but if the sb 'moderators' would abuse their powers, wouldn't simply well known and 'trusted' individuals be able to report the user ? After that moderators or administrators could take care of the user in question.
    So you are creating a vicious circle. Every user can already report a rulebreaker (shoutbox or not). With this suggestion you would just move the 'problem' temporarily.

9. Thankful user:

Head Veteran and Respected Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Yeah we don't need sb mods, always been a bad idea from the get go. What if something is happening on the forum side of things and only an sb mod is on? Full mod or no mod pals

11. Thankful user:

Developer

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    While I do completely agree with the concerns users addressed about the risk this idea brings, I would still like to note that OP is talking about a ban for an hour. A short ban is a simple and effective punishment that yet can't be truly abused (since an hour ban is absolutely harmless). I don't think this amount of 'shoutbox-power' has such a big value that we can't trust users with it. Also, I don't think users should be manually eligible, but instead have everyone from the 'respected-user' group possess this power, since most users in that usergroup use the shoutbox often and are in my opinion trusted enough with such small amount of power.

However, in all honestly I don't think we even need more users moderating the shoutbox Most of the time there is a moderator online when such thing happens and it just happened that there wasn't one online yesterday.

Head Veteran and Respected Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Savions View Post
    While I do completely agree with the concerns users addressed about the risk this idea brings, I would still like to note that OP is talking about a ban for an hour. A short ban is a simple and effective punishment that yet can't be truly abused (since an hour ban is absolutely harmless). I don't think this amount of 'shoutbox-power' has such a big value that we can't trust users with it. Also, I don't think users should be manually eligible, but instead have everyone from the 'respected-user' group possess this power, since most users in that usergroup use the shoutbox often and are in my opinion trusted enough with such small amount of power.

However, in all honestly I don't think we even need more users moderating the shoutbox Most of the time there is a moderator online when such thing happens and it just happened that there wasn't one online yesterday.
    Only an hour ban, but then I just ban you again after the hour is up. Same thing as a 24 hour ban if I do it all day

Community Veteran

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    We had them for a while a long time ago, didn't really work out what so ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information