Thread: Why do you choose XML over SQL?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Why do you choose XML over SQL?

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by OsFury View Post
    I don't use sql due to it relying on the website being up. When I was with trentahost, my website was down at least once/day and that could cause severe problems when you're trying to load data from it.
    you don't have to host the SQL database on a separate server from your game server whatsoever...

Attached image

2. Thankful users:

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Many people don't know that; we always recommend they host locally on the same server as then they can just use localhost instead of having the high delay via a remote webserver MYSQL. the second issue that arises is the security; a simple XAMPP MYSQL or Local database must be secured...

Quote Originally Posted by Scu11 View Post
    you don't have to host the SQL database on a separate server from your game server whatsoever...

Host your RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER on the cheapest and flagship provider on Rune-Server! Now equipped with DDOS Protection!.

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Binary always number one, but that's my personal opinion I guess.
    link removed

SERGEANT OF THE MASTER SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX!

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Slee View Post
    Binary always number one, but that's my personal opinion I guess.
    Strongest downside is probably its inflexibility, hard or impossible to do migrations efficiently

Attached image

6. Thankful users:

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    If we're talking all kinds of content, convenience. For example I wouldn't want to deal with item and npc definitions through SQL. Either you'll have to update a local and realtime database whenever you make changes, or update one single one and pray your database is never compromised. If my database were to be cleared right now, I would have 100% up-to-date definition files sitting here on my local machine. I imagine there would be a way to set something up to where when you modify you local database the changes are automatically passed over to the realtime database, but then that's something I'd have to learn how to do opposed to handling definitions through XML and just uploading the file changes when I do a server update (updating all the files takes under 5 minutes, simple zip, upload, unzip, done).

???

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePalidino View Post
    If we're talking all kinds of content, convenience. For example I wouldn't want to deal with item and npc definitions through SQL. Either you'll have to update a local and realtime database whenever you make changes, or update one single one and pray your database is never compromised. If my database were to be cleared right now, I would have 100% up-to-date definition files sitting here on my local machine. I imagine there would be a way to set something up to where when you modify you local database the changes are automatically passed over to the realtime database, but then that's something I'd have to learn how to do opposed to handling definitions through XML and just uploading the file changes when I do a server update (updating all the files takes under 5 minutes, simple zip, upload, unzip, done).
    not sure what you mean by the terms you use, but if you're talking about master/slave replication, that's what you call it. not sure what you mean by realtime and local.

Why do you choose XML over SQL?

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Either you'll have to update a local and realtime database whenever you make changes
    not true, look up database migrations. popular solutions include flyway & liquibase

or update one single one and pray your database is never compromised.
    why would you need to pray for this, you'd be doing routine backups (which you should be doing regardless of using an RDBMS)

If my database were to be cleared right now, I would have 100% up-to-date definition files sitting here on my local machine.
    you can't attribute that to your usage of flat files, it's a result of you having the data stored elsewhere - which is a practice you should be applying to both flat files and databases

I imagine there would be a way to set something up to where when you modify you local database the changes are automatically passed over to the realtime database,
    see answer above re: db migrations

but then that's something I'd have to learn how to do
    if you already know how to write SQL then you already know how to write database migrations

opposed to handling definitions through XML
    yuck, xml is not meant for human consumption. at least resort to something bareable like JSON, YAML, or TOML

and just uploading the file changes when I do a server update
    benefit you get from using an RDBMS in the situation you've outlined here is that you wouldn't need to restart anything or interrupt any of your players.

(updating all the files takes under 5 minutes, simple zip, upload, unzip, done).
    am i misinterpreting or are you implying that your your delivery system really relies on you manually zipping/unzipping a bunch of files?

Attached image

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    MySQL is superior.

Extreme Donator

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    SQL everyday lol, it's just so flexible and easy to manage

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak View Post
    SQL everyday lol, it's just so flexible and easy to manage
    What do you think about this?

Have the server check "MySQL version" of a table. If the servers data != the MySQL version, it'll load the MySQL data into memory and output it to the Json. If the server data is the same as the MySQL version, no updating needs to be done so load the Json files. Obviously you're not going to do this with Player data but rather ObjectLocations, ObjectDefinitions and things of that nature. Yea sure it could be considered redundant but it's worth the saved startup time with getting the server back online!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread Information