Thread: Why do you choose XML over SQL?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    ???

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Arithium View Post
    Are you a fucken moron? The point I was making is not many people know how to properly configure shit to make it secure. I never said that MySQL was vulnerable.
    I don't see how you can insult me and question whether or not I got the point. Not only that, but then go into detail about your point and seem to misunderstand what I mean. I simply mean that if you fail to configure it, that's your fault. Fear is a bad reason to make decisions because all one needs to do is simply read a manual in order to avoid the problems you're saying exist.

My point is that your reasons for not doing something, which is a good and viable option, are not good. If your concern is education, what's stopping people from learning? It's all freely available. It's also pretty straightforward and easy get right the first time.

How to set up and install MySQL?
    How to set up a database?
    How to structure a table?
    How to set up permissions for a database?
    How to use queries?
    How to regularly back up database?

I don't see why the problem can't be broken down.

2. Thankful user:

Donator

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by funkE View Post
    I don't see how you can insult me and question whether or not I got the point. Not only that, but then go into detail about your point and seem to misunderstand what I mean. I simply mean that if you fail to configure it, that's your fault. Fear is a bad reason to make decisions because all one needs to do is simply read a manual in order to avoid the problems you're saying exist.

My point is that your reasons for not doing something, which is a good and viable option, are not good. If your concern is education, what's stopping people from learning? It's all freely available. It's also pretty straightforward and easy get right the first time.

How to set up and install MySQL?
    How to set up a database?
    How to structure a table?
    How to set up permissions for a database?
    How to use queries?
    How to regularly back up database?

I don't see why the problem can't be broken down.
    The topic is Why people chose XML over SQL. I gave you a very good reason on why people choose to not use SQL. I'm not saying SQL is a bad way to go or isn't a viable option, I'm stating that its misunderstood within this community and creates a fear because of all the top servers which have been leaked. Not to mention its just easier for someone to just copy and paste code from someone else then it is for them to learn how to set up a database + manage it securely.

4. Thankful user:

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    This thread is hilarious tbh. The posts on this forum are very indicative of users' ages - cracks me up. On the topic - I've always wondered the same question. I don't see any good reasons to use XML these days, but I came back to this forum to check RSPS progression and it seems that everyone is still using it.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I personally use SQL.

My reasoning is that it is less complicated, less overhead, and it allows me to integrate the server with the website.

For instance, I have my server set up in a way that you have to create a user account on the website before you can log into the server.
    If you're banned on the website, you're banned on the server.

It also allows me to look up items and store their GE value in a database, and is just much more versatile in general.

It's really not hard to set up. I will NEVER go back to JSON/XML

kierandevvs
    Really depends on your usage. If you just plan on saving player data then a flat file format may be a good option. However, if you plan on creating more sophisticated relational systems such as GE (fluctuating item prices, many to one bid requests on an auction item) ect then a *relational* DB is your way to go (A non relational e.g NoSQL, isn't optimal in this case as you don't have enough data to make use of its potential and will actually negate performance). You could use a flat file system for complex data querying but serialization for multiple files for multiple requests on data that doesn't have any actual link is very slow, especially if you were actually running the player base that RS has/had.

In summary:
    If you're loading data that's only going into memory once e.g shop data, loot tables ect, then flat files are ok.
    If you're loading data that's going to be on request e.g voting, GE, CC, ect then relational database is your way to go.
    If you're doing both, then stick with a relational DB for all data as multiple file I/O's gets messy.

Edit: people who say flat file formats are bad in all cases are wrong. SQL connections for literally one table of data has more overhead than file serialization. AKA, its overkill.

Banned
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscientia View Post
    Most people here lack the skill to set up a proper DB system, flat file storage is what comes with most servers. Plus depending on your host you'll probably end up paying extra for remote connections. Added to that most players cap at what 50 players, so at that level a DB seems somewhat pointless.
    $17/month actually to get all of that done plus as many databases as we want with sqlite and datagrip That's the top plan.
    You should look into linux

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I'd say that storing it in a database is more secure then storing data into a .json or xml file,
    for example if your server gets hacked, all accounts will be leaked.

Just my own preference though, everybody's taste is different.
    My Skype: Live:Essaint.me

Programmer, Contributor, RM and Veteran

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaint View Post
    I'd say that storing it in a database is more secure then storing data into a .json or xml file,
    for example if your server gets hacked, all accounts will be leaked.
    If an attacker got file system access it wouldn't stop them accessing the database either - if it's on the same machine, just copy the database's data directory. If it's on a different machine, the credentials required to connect to the database are presumably going to be in a config file or embedded in the code somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lucidenigma View Post
    My reasoning is that it is less complicated, less overhead, and it allows me to integrate the server with the website.
    You could come up with something that let you do that with flat files as well, but using an RDBMS is certainly easier.

11. Thankful user:

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I don't use sql due to it relying on the website being up. When I was with trentahost, my website was down at least once/day and that could cause severe problems when you're trying to load data from it.

???

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by OsFury View Post
    I don't use sql due to it relying on the website being up. When I was with trentahost, my website was down at least once/day and that could cause severe problems when you're trying to load data from it.
    SQL can run in memory, embedded, or as server. It is also not tied into anything relating to websites. Websites just like to use databases.

Using SQLite, H2, local MySQL solves that problem. Wouldn't cause much load or problem.

14. Thankful users:

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread Information