Thread: RSPS Economics Theory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 RSPS Economics Theory 
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    To start out, my grammar is not the best, so please just deal with it.

With my time playing many different RSPS since 2009 (probably 200+), I've come to realize that any server that advertises as a "Eco" server don't have a true economy. For that matter, 100% of the servers I have played don't have a true economy.

Let me explain. There are so many RSPS that not every single one can truly have a stable Eco. You have your servers that have true RS drop rates, and your servers with customized drop rates. You also have your servers with AGS's at 1B a piece, because that's what the original player wanted, or because the server's rock crabs drop 500K caskets, so money is easy to come by. You also have your servers where money is not as easy to come by, so prices are close to OSRS/RS. What some people fail to understand in these situations and what starts so many arguments, is the fact that the player base on servers change so frequently, and so many active players become inactive that the prices should constantly change.

Here is my theory. To have a true economy in your server you must have a base price for all items. For every amount of that item in game the price must drop, for the % of active players that own that item, the price needs to drop again, and for the % of players with that item that are inactive, the price must rise. Now I know that may seem a bit confusing, so here is a formula to help you understand.

Code:
    Base_Price - ((#_In_Game*.002)*Base_Price)) - ((%_Active_w/_Item*.15)*Base_Price) + ((%Inactive_w/_Item*.15)*Base_Price)
    So now lets see this in action right?

Tell me what you think. I think it seems pretty legit.

2. Thankful users:

Bossman

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Not a bad idea, put the algorithm into practice and it worked out quite well.

Edit: However in my testing it has gone into minus if you're not careful.

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by ISAI View Post
    Not a bad idea, put the algorithm into practice and it worked out quite well.

Edit: However in my testing it has gone into minus if you're not careful.
    Ya I could see that happening. I originally started it out with a lot more complications and I didn't like the results I was seeing. I changed it up to what it is now and seems more balanced.

5. #4 RSPS Economics Theory 
    Donator

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    What you're saying makes sense, but I think that servers do have true economies as long as the prices are decided by supply and demand
    Quote Originally Posted by Songoty View Post
    in the beginning there was npcdrops.cfg. and xero said let there be drops, and he wrote in some drops.
    Selling YouTube advertisements! 2k+ subs and 600k+ RSPS views

6. Thankful user:

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by RSPSSam View Post
    What you're saying makes sense, but I think that servers do have true economies as long as the prices are decided by supply and demand
    I have yet to see a server do that honestly. I see a lot start off strong, but then once the players die down, other players just don't want to accept that their items are worth less now. I honestly feel like server developers should get more involved with their server's economy after spending so long on trying to create one.

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Appealer_2 View Post
    Formula is really bad. You don't just make up arbitrary numbers and then multiply. It doesn't scale at all (I.e numbers should be able to scale for both a server with 50 active or 1000 active).

Above that prices are determined by supply and demand. "Players don't want to accept their items are worth less" doesn't mean anything. If people are willing to pay more for an item you deem "worth less", then it is actually "worth more". However much people are WILLING to pay for an item is how much it's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now that I look back at my work, I did do a couple a mess up's with my numbers. But adding the arbitrary numbers is to get a small drop and raise in price for ea one in game, and inactively in game.

EDIT: This is also not based on having a GE since there is nothing in that formula based upon average buy offer and average sell offer.

???

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I think by "base" you mean maximum. In that case, yes

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Supah Fly View Post
    I think by "base" you mean maximum. In that case, yes
    Not necessarily because if you have a high quantity of the product in game, but 85% of that quantity belongs to your inactive player base, but your active player base is still pretty high then in theory the price would end up going over the base price. Assuming the formula is set up properly.

EDIT: In all reality this formula is set up based upon the fact that the active player base without that item will eventually either go for the item them self, or buy it.

Ok so I played with the formula a little bit and came up with something that might suite it better.

Code:
    ((Active_Players/#_In_Game)*Base_Price) - ((%_Active_Owned_Items*%_Active_w/Items)*Base_Price) + ((%Inactive_owned_items*%_Inactive_Owned_Items)*Base_Price)
    So in this formula the "%_Active_Owned_Items" is calculated by dividing the number of players that are active and owned the item divided by total players that own the item. Same with the inactive owned.

There are no arbitrary numbers added.

This formula is based on a projected forecast of how many players might possibly want to buy this item. If you have a GE system this formula definitely can be more complex down to predicting daily forecasts and price changes based on the daily forecast of buy & sell offers along with how many are in game, and what percentages of players have that item.

Here are the results I got.

NOTE: I use to develop, and I always liked to keep control of prices to make sure that people eventually didn't have 500B banks on a 50 player active server. It annoys me to see stuff like that. This is why i created my theory. I do not develop or own any servers anymore but for those owners who think the same way this is a great start to managing your economy.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Appealer_2 View Post
    Formula is really bad. You don't just make up arbitrary numbers and then multiply. It doesn't scale at all (I.e numbers should be able to scale for both a server with 50 active or 1000 active).

Above that prices are determined by supply and demand. "Players don't want to accept their items are worth less" doesn't mean anything. If people are willing to pay more for an item you deem "worth less", then it is actually "worth more". However much people are WILLING to pay for an item is how much it's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What he said, I like the idea though.

Best Rat Donor

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    It should be based on availability and demand.
    Rsn: vEetswa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information