Thread: Help choosing a gaming laptop

1. #1 Help choosing a gaming laptop 
    Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Could anyone tell me if this laptop would be okay with current games? I'm not too bothered about graphics I just want the laptop to play smooth and lag free, ultra settings aren't important to me. I want it to be able to run battlefield 4 smoothly for example, with it doing well on League of Legends too.

I'm on a budget so it's not too expensive (£550). I'm just not too good with specs, what's good and what isn't.

Link: LENOVO Z51 15.6" Laptop - Black Deals | PC World
    The specs are just at the bottom of that page.

Could you tell me what specs to look for? Nothing too major as I'm not a hardcore gamer I just want a laptop that will handle games I want to play pretty well.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    It says "Up to 3.0 GHz", which is decent, but not ideal... The memory is fine, I don't see you needing anymore than 8gb for a while... But, then again you could never have too much. It has a 1tb Hard drive, which is nice if you plan on installing alot of games, but i'd still go with a solid state to atleast put your os on.

In my personal opinion (I have built multiple gaming computers and I am an IT, I am not saying I know everything don't get me wrong just trying to help), I would check out a build guide first, see what you can build for $550-600 and then compare it. I know for a fact, this is not worth the price. You could easily build a nice gaming rig for this dollar amount.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by RatTheStack View Post
    It says "Up to 3.0 GHz", which is decent, but not ideal... The memory is fine, I don't see you needing anymore than 8gb for a while... But, then again you could never have too much. It has a 1tb Hard drive, which is nice if you plan on installing alot of games, but i'd still go with a solid state to atleast put your os on.

In my personal opinion (I have built multiple gaming computers and I am an IT, I am not saying I know everything don't get me wrong just trying to help), I would check out a build guide first, see what you can build for $550-600 and then compare it. I know for a fact, this is not worth the price. You could easily build a nice gaming rig for this dollar amount.
    Thanks for the reply, I am a huge noob when it comes to computers, I just enjoy the gaming side so I wouldn't even know where to start with the building part! I mean if a laptop can play RS3 and league of legends on high settings I would be happy with that, as my current laptop which is four years old is struggling to even play LoL on medium settings right now.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Cauul View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I am a huge noob when it comes to computers, I just enjoy the gaming side so I wouldn't even know where to start with the building part! I mean if a laptop can play RS3 and league of legends on high settings I would be happy with that, as my current laptop which is four years old is struggling to even play LoL on medium settings right now.
    The only thing about laptops is, they don't have decent graphics, which I know you don't care, but it matters in the long run, and also the don't have good cpu speeds... If you are really set on buying a laptop, this isn't that bad... but you can get 3x the performance out of a desktop build, run bf4 on ulta and league. My first build was around $650 and I ran bf4 ultra 60fps. Don't buy prebuilt pcs, they rip you off...

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by RatTheStack View Post
    The only thing about laptops is, they don't have decent graphics, which I know you don't care, but it matters in the long run, and also the don't have good cpu speeds... If you are really set on buying a laptop, this isn't that bad... but you can get 3x the performance out of a desktop build, run bf4 on ulta and league. My first build was around $650 and I ran bf4 ultra 60fps. Don't buy prebuilt pcs, they rip you off...
    I would happily save up for a desktop PC it's just that I haven't got anywhere to put it and that's the only reason I need a laptop, I'm still living at home (19 years old) saving to move out but my room isn't big at all, so I thought if I bought one for now it will do me good up to then.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Cauul View Post
    I would happily save up for a desktop PC it's just that I haven't got anywhere to put it and that's the only reason I need a laptop, I'm still living at home (19 years old) saving to move out but my room isn't big at all, so I thought if I bought one for now it will do me good up to then.
    I see... Well, i'm really not the person to ask for laptops as I try to stay away from them, they are too pricey for the performance they give... I hope you find what you are looking for, goodluck! If you can build a desktop rig, do it.

Thread Information