Thread: 'Realm' system?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemuzz View Post
    Pathfinding, Entities, and area based updating.

The simplifying isn't not to be done by the realm system, but the area updating, and the realm system is made to isolate the players in a certain instanced map from the main world.

If we instance a map, and lets say put 3 people into it. Do we want everything they do, be visible to the main world? I wouldn't. Do we want them to use the main world collision map? No. Do we want data in these two worlds to collide? no. The code was a POC for area based updating, nothing else. It wasn't related to the realm system by any other way than that it would be the type of updating i'd use with a realm based instanced map & main world system.

Lets imagine a player found an exploit for training the construction skill at the main map. This can't happen, if the player is in a "realm".
    Also, the players in realms couldn't execute any unwanted actions, because the npcs, items and objects would be inexistent in the realm. Actions such as telegrab, and teleportation, movement could be excluded if a player is in a certain type of realm.
    That is an area system, which has been done 10 times over already. The only 'new' thing here is having seperate npc indices per instance. Even matrix has all the things you mention (clipping map per area, list of players/npc/items per area) but again, that has nothing to do with realms.

They are already implicitly seperated because instances are out of range of eachother...

Existence of objects and items is already checked in any decent framework.
    In my framework object handlers etc can be added to specific areas and they won't be executed outside of it, and guess what, I don't have a realm system.

The only advantage a realm system brings is seperation of npc indices, which btw is a good thing IMO, but all the points and examples you are giving are irrelevant to that

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    That is an area system, which has been done 10 times over already. The only 'new' thing here is having seperate npc indices per instance. Even matrix has all the things you mention (clipping map per area, list of players/npc/items per area) but again, that has nothing to do with realms.

Existence of objects and items is already checked in any decent framework.
    In my framework object handlers etc can be added to specific areas and they won't be executed outside of it, and guess what, I don't have a realm system.

The only advantage a realm system brings is seperation of npc indices, which btw is a good thing IMO, but all the points and examples you are giving are irrelevant to that
    I'm not saying area based updating needs realms, but i'm saying that realms need area based updating.

edit: also yes existence of objects and items is checked, but the point was that they exist only in the realm, and nowhere else. So we wouldn't have overlaps of two worlds, one being a instanced map and the other being the main world.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    i still think this extra realm abstraction layer is redundant considering we already do most of your key points in most server frameworks because of, as vincent said, the required region separation..
    xxxxxxx

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I'm not saying area based updating needs realms, but i'm saying that realms need area based updating.

edit: also yes existence of objects and items is checked, but the point was that they exist only in the realm, and nowhere else. So we wouldn't have overlaps of two worlds, one being a instanced map and the other being the main world.
    Well if you look at the coordinates that jagex puts you at when you enter an instance you can clearly see all instances coexist in the same world, or else all instances could coexist on the same coordinates.

They can even run out of space and you will get a message saying no instances available or instances are full or something along the lines of that.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Well if you look at the coordinates that jagex puts you at when you enter an instance you can clearly see all instances coexist in the same world, or else all instances could coexist on the same coordinates.

They can even run out of space and you will get a message saying no instances available or instances are full or something along the lines of that.
    Why would we do the same mistakes jagex does? Just wondering. And this system would also make the biggest built map area practically unlimited.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received

on top of that jagex doesn't separate npcs at all and has the 32k npcs issue too, w2 was once put down by spawning doll npcs:

a friend of mine was doing fight caves during that time and npcs despawned and respawned globally (besides ones that were created on the fly, e.g. his fcaves npcs and he ended up having to leave the f caves)

4:35 you can see the farmer npc in the sw corner getting despawned and put back at his spawn tile
    xxxxxxx

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Why would we do the same mistakes jagex does? Just wondering. And this system would also make the biggest built map area practically unlimited.
    Because https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAGNI

Contributor

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    With the amount of shit servers these days, you should start of by actually making something decent.

If it ever gets to 300+ players then I guess you could start thinking about this.

Also there's probably a reason as to why the max players per world is 2000. Just add lobby and worlds if it gets there lol.
    Project thread

:doge:

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    When I think of realm I immediately think to World of Warcraft, where a realm is merely the equivalent of a World on RuneScape, keeping players completely isolated from players of other realms in most zones except in certain circumstances, like being in a special zone where two or more realms can phase together into the same zone, allowing players from different realms to see each other. There is another circumstance but I don't think it applies much to RuneScape.

Now on WoW when you go into a dungeon, which is more the experience I think you are trying to describe here with your idea, you are actually connected to a server different from your home realm, dedicated to hosting instanced zones for players to play through. I see that the design works well for Blizzard because they have a lot of resources, but I don't think having all 'realms' on one server would be a good idea due to the fact there would probably be lot of overhead, as already stated, and I do think that you should start referring what you are calling a realm to an instanced zone though, as I think it's a more fitting name.

10. Thankful users:

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Discardedx2 View Post
    When I think of realm I immediately think to World of Warcraft, where a realm is merely the equivalent of a World on RuneScape, keeping players completely isolated from players of other realms in most zones except in certain circumstances, like being in a special zone where two or more realms can phase together into the same zone, allowing players from different realms to see each other. There is another circumstance but I don't think it applies much to RuneScape.

Now on WoW when you go into a dungeon, which is more the experience I think you are trying to describe here with your idea, you are actually connected to a server different from your home realm, dedicated to hosting instanced zones for players to play through. I see that the design works well for Blizzard because they have a lot of resources, but I don't think having all 'realms' on one server would be a good idea due to the fact there would probably be lot of overhead, as already stated, and I do think that you should start referring what you are calling a realm to an instanced zone though, as I think it's a more fitting name.
    Is instance shard worlds similar to this? Runescape has this. Instance shard world - The RuneScape Wiki

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information