Thread: 'Realm' system?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by koala breeder View Post
    my bad, i thought by 'a process of their own' you meant an actual process or thread ya fele me
    Yeah. I do know what you meant, and i were inaccurate on the original post.
    I concider an area a 8x8 block of chunks, and a chunk a 8x8 block of tiles. We'd be just simply stupid to have a process for the whole 256x256 gamemap of areas. There would also be no point. But lets take this small example:

We have a player in area 51, 51, in chunk at 5, 5, at height 0

we grab the nearby chunks with a max distance of 1, and apply something to those being near enough. For example, we could kill a whole area, remove all ground items, administrator-spawned non-static game map objects, despawn npcs of certain type, etc etc, with a simple command.
    grabbed chunks would be:
    Code:
    51,51, 4, 4
    51,51, 4, 5
    51,51, 4, 6
    51,51, 5, 4
    51,51, 5, 5
    51,51, 5, 6
    51,51, 6, 4
    51,51, 6, 5
    51,51, 6, 6
    The system, clarified in a previous post, was written a year ago, and it was cluttery, but it was a proof of concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    he actually wants a process per realm instead of a thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemuzz View Post
    Nobody, by no means never implied a thread per area. Maybe i didn't clarify it in the beginning easily enough, but the idea was for the whole time for each realm type requiring it to have a process of its own.
    Please, please leave if you can't read, don't want to read or just have a problem right now with me. If you can't criticize constructively you should probably stop criticizing. I Have yet to see:

• Why it's bad
    • What you'd do differently
    • Why it's ineffective, slow, overcomplex

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Please re-read what i'm implying here.
    Please re-read the whole thread.

Point being that the RSPS gamemap entity updating has been, and will forever be full of stupid location checks. Unnecessary checks. Unnecessary code. Unnecessary everything. Overcomplexed systems. Half-assed bullshit. Each executed separately. This removes the 'separate updating'.

The system i'm implying is only making instanced maps easier to use, they don't need to have a 'private processor'.

What i'm saying here in this thread, i don't know what you're on about, but it's just the simple way of not updating the absolute gamemap every time for each and every player. You seem to not understand the concept here, based on your comments. I'm not trying to hate but i seriously don't get your point. I don't get what you're on about.
    i perfectly get your point and i perfectly know how this system works when being applied (as i said planetside 2 does this and they wrote a lot of technical info about it which may interest you)

and yes i completely understand your point but me not agreeing with your points doesn't make me not understand your points

This being in the game server, and for each type of realm we would have a process of their own.
    stop pretending i make shit up here's ur OP quote saying a realm has a process of its own
    xxxxxxx

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    i perfectly get your point and i perfectly know how this system works when being applied (as i said planetside 2 does this and they wrote a lot of technical info about it which may interest you)

and yes i completely understand your point but me not agreeing with your points doesn't make me not understand your points

stop pretending i make shit up here's ur OP quote saying a realm has a process of its own
    Type of realm: Quest realm, construction, dungeoneering?
    They each have their own actions required to execute. Quests can have cutscenes which have different types of actions, dungeons have different types of puzzles, you know what i mean?

And it's not necessary. And no, my native language isn't english, and neither is yours. It might not be a valid argument, but i still think in finnish. I'm not pretending you make shit up, i'm just correcting my own words.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Type of realm: Quest realm, construction, dungeoneering?
    They each have their own actions required to execute. Quests can have cutscenes which have different types of actions, dungeons have different types of puzzles, you know what i mean?

And it's not necessary. And no, my native language isn't english, and neither is yours. It might not be a valid argument, but i still think in finnish. I'm not pretending you make shit up, i'm just correcting my own words.
    so to rephrase your idea.. you basically want to separate the different instance types across different 'realm' (i think the realm term isnt too applicant here) workers and have those do the updating and such in their own containers (unique player indices, unique npc indices and private grounditem containers)?

if so then you're intentions are wayyyyyyyy different as what u implied with the original post lol
    xxxxxxx

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    so to rephrase your idea.. you basically want to separate the different instance types across different 'realm' (i think the realm term isnt too applicant here) workers and have those do the updating and such in their own containers (unique player indices, unique npc indices and private grounditem containers)?

if so then you're intentions are wayyyyyyyy different as what u implied with the original post lol
    Why would i edit player indices? Where did i say npcs in realms exist anywhere else?

Realm container -> get x type of realms
    -> update each x
    -> Update entities in realm x

How is it hard? I mean i don't get how you get that my intentions changed?

Realm has container of areas, areas contain chunks.
    Updater takes the realms, updates each player in each realm. Updates npcs in each realm, And updates other entities. Spawns required. And tbh, i haven't yet even thought about the processor, since i have no use for it yet, i have no intentions of doing it as of yet. So for now i'm going to update the "realms" in the main update system.

Unique npc indices as, Realm-specific npcs would have realm-specific ids, and they'd be inexistent on other realms. Transfering each type of entity is no necessity, but for certain things it would be useful. Also realm-specific death methods for players would exist, as in runescape also.

Realm is the nearest to it. Instanced world could be better, but i wouldn't consider the main world an "instanced map" as it by means, is static. Idk.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Why would i edit player indices? Where did i say npcs in realms exist anywhere else?

-> update each x

Updater takes the realms, updates each player in each realm. Updates npcs in each realm, And updates other entities. Spawns required. And tbh, i haven't yet even thought about the processor, since i have no use for it yet, i have no intentions of doing it as of yet. So for now i'm going to update the "realms" in the main update system.

Unique npc indices as, Realm-specific npcs would have realm-specific ids.

Realm is the nearest to it. Instanced world could be better, but i wouldn't consider the main world an "instanced map" as it by means, is static. Idk.
    your post said you wanted to counter the fact that 40k npcs would crash the server cos of the 0x7fff limit... you must assign an index to an npc or the game can't hand it (thats how the client works internally and you have to deal with it) but now that I think about it, you can't do this for players as the player gets assigned an index upon login which is then further in the game used to identify if a projectile should aim at the contextual player

and yes your intentions changed based on your edits and errata as your OP implied you wanted an nginx-like process per worker design
    xxxxxxx

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    your post said you wanted to counter the fact that 40k npcs would crash the server... you must assign an index to an npc or the game can't hand it (thats how the client works internally and you have to deal with it) but now that I think about it, you can't do this for players as the player gets assigned an index upon login which is then further in the game used to identify if a projectile should aim at the contextual player

and yes your intentions changed based on your edits and errata as your OP implied you wanted an nginx-like process per worker design
    Gah. Go fuck yourself. I have said atleast four times, that IT WAS NOT WHAT I MEANT, I DIDN'T CLARIFY IT WELL ENOUGH, AND MY ENGLISH IN NO WAY IS PERFECT NOR IS MY VOCABULARY.

Maybe i just should crap english so nobody understand ok?

I mean, npc options and entity targeting, everything use the npc index. Assigning unique ids for each players would make the system more complex, and that's not what i want. I'm not reassigning any ids. Just making sure we don't max out the client capacity so we would not need to do any unsafe systems. This is where the system comes, if we have unique npcs for each realm, we don't "break the system".

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received

-> update each x

Unique npc indices as, Realm-specific npcs would have realm-specific ids, and they'd be inexistent on other realms. Transfering each type of entity is no necessity, but for certain things it would be useful. Also realm-specific death methods for players would exist, as in runescape also.

The only valid point you have is that with a global npc list 32k npcs might indeed not be enough if everyone suddenly hopped into a dungeon or something.

But adding a realm layer on top the areas doesn't simplify anything at all and the code you showed is pretty irrelevant

9. Thankful user:

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Gah. Go fuck yourself. I have said atleast four times, that IT WAS NOT WHAT I MEANT, I DIDN'T CLARIFY IT WELL ENOUGH, AND MY ENGLISH IN NO WAY IS PERFECT NOR IS MY VOCABULARY.

Maybe i just should crap english so nobody understand ok?

I mean, npc options and entity targeting, everything use the npc index. Assigning unique ids for each players would make the system more complex, and that's not what i want. I'm not reassigning any ids. Just making sure we don't max out the client capacity so we would not need to do any unsafe systems. This is where the system comes, if we have unique npcs for each realm, we don't "break the system".
    stop attacking me when you're the one with invalid points

i'm going to stop arguing as you don't even seem to understand your own points and you keep changing your mind mid-topic so come back when you manage to set up a real POC which is relevant to ur concept and actually makes sense
    xxxxxxx

11. Thankful user:

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    The only valid point you have is that a global npc list 32k npcs might indeed not be enough if everyone suddenly hopped into a dungeon or something.

But adding a realm layer on top the areas doesn't simplify anything at all and the code you showed is pretty irrelevant
    Pathfinding, Entities, and area based updating.

The simplifying isn't not to be done by the realm system, but the area updating, and the realm system is made to isolate the players in a certain instanced map from the main world.

If we instance a map, and lets say put 3 people into it. Do we want everything they do, be visible to the main world? I wouldn't. Do we want them to use the main world collision map? No. Do we want data in these two worlds to collide? no. The code was a POC for area based updating, nothing else. It wasn't related to the realm system by any other way than that it would be the type of updating i'd use with a realm based instanced map & main world system.

Lets imagine a player found an exploit for training the construction skill at the main map. This can't happen, if the player is in a "realm".
    Also, the players in realms couldn't execute any unwanted actions, because the npcs, items and objects would be inexistent in the realm. Actions such as telegrab, and teleportation, movement could be excluded if a player is in a certain type of realm.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information