Thread: Harha's programming projects

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Renown Programmer
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Added a new binary release of Mirage Render to github.

https://github.com/Harha/MirageRende...ses/tag/0.0.28

If you have a 64-bit windows 7/8/8.1/10 it should work. Usage instructions are in the main README.md

F1 prints information about the currently being rendered image and chosen camera.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Should print out some sort of frame speed measurement such as frame-time. You're using software rendering correct? Didn't dig too much into the code, but seemed like you were filling a pixel buffer to be drawn on the screen. Felt somewhere around 2-8 fps on my machine (machine I ran it on is pretty old though: Intel Core i5-4460 @ 3.20Ghz, Quad Core, running Windows 10). Would expect frame rate to be a tad higher than what it is due to the window dimensions.

Was going to print the info myself, but command line required sdl to compile and cba to download it to get the lib.

Renown Programmer
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDump View Post
    Should print out some sort of frame speed measurement such as frame-time. You're using software rendering correct? Didn't dig too much into the code, but seemed like you were filling a pixel buffer to be drawn on the screen. Felt somewhere around 2-8 fps on my machine (machine I ran it on is pretty old though: Intel Core i5-4460 @ 3.20Ghz, Quad Core, running Windows 10). Would expect frame rate to be a tad higher than what it is due to the window dimensions.

Was going to print the info myself, but command line required sdl to compile and cba to download it to get the lib.
    F1 prints the time it takes to render a frame full of samples in milliseconds along with some other information.

It's a raytracing based renderer and the default scene file that loads if you pass no arguments when running the program will perform slowly because the thing traces 10 indirect light bounces for each ray that gets fired through a pixel on the screen. It's not meant to be a realtime thing, it's purpose is mainly to render fancy images and maybe even video later on if I get to that point. And yeah it's purely CPU based.

The README.md in the repo has instructions on how to try load a different scene file, maybe do 'mirage --script cornellbox.lua', that one should be slightly faster so you can move the camera. Or you can edit the scene scripts yourself and lessen the amount of light bounces per ray and so on, to make it faster, if that is what you want.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Harha View Post
    F1 prints the time it takes to render a frame full of samples in milliseconds along with some other information.

It's a raytracing based renderer and the default scene file that loads if you pass no arguments when running the program will perform slowly because the thing traces 10 indirect light bounces for each ray that gets fired through a pixel on the screen. It's not meant to be a realtime thing, it's purpose is mainly to render fancy images and maybe even video later on if I get to that point. And yeah it's purely CPU based.

The README.md in the repo has instructions on how to try load a different scene file, maybe do 'mirage --script cornellbox.lua', that one should be slightly faster so you can move the camera. Or you can edit the scene scripts yourself and lessen the amount of light bounces per ray and so on, to make it faster, if that is what you want.
    F1 is really unresponsive most of the time, but from what I saw before and again just now, all 3 vars seem to just increase since the app launches. I'll check the source code to confirm later today.

Renown Programmer
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDump View Post
    F1 is really unresponsive most of the time, but from what I saw before and again just now, all 3 vars seem to just increase since the app launches. I'll check the source code to confirm later today.
    It entirely depends on your delta-time between frames how responsive F1 or any of the keys will be, just hold the key until it triggers. The deltaTime won't increase over-time normally, it should stay fairly constant and at least for me that's what it does. I could create another thread just for listening user input, but I don't really see much point in that so I've just let the system be as is. After all the purpose is to just render images, you program your scene in lua to be whatever you want it to be using a low render-resolution and not too many indirect light bounces and then when you're satisfied with the setup you just put the resolution as high you want and the other settings and wait.

Yesterday I setup Jenkins to run on my dedicated server and got both Linux x64 and Windows x64 automatic building to work. So now there's build status for both builds on github readme and links to the .7z archived binary builds. Whenever I commit Jenkins starts building and deploying the new packages. Jenkins can be found here, I've enabled anonymous viewing: http://harha.us.to:8080/ - It was fairly easy to setup cross-compiling for windows on linux using the mingw-w64 packages found on debian testing branch.

I also tried to render Crytek's famous sponza scene, took roughly ~30minutes on my machine in 1280x720 resolution.

I'm not sure if I like the outcome. The indirect lighting is a bit too dark I think, also I just noticed that textures are upside-down, so gotta fix that too. Also textures look a bit boring because I haven't added support for normal mapping just yet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information