Thread: Abandoning proprietary formats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Abandoning proprietary formats 
    Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I'll preface this by saying I've no interest in post-3XX file formats

What's the general consensus on breaking compatibility with 317 formats and just rolling our own? Given that it seems most client/server pairs nowadays are incompatible with one another, why not just stop trying to replicate the proprietary formats used by Jagex circa. #317, and just fork the client to agree on a standard, extensible format?

Same could apply to 4XX and 5XX. We'd just agree on a format which encapsulates all of the information we need for all versions, and use the same data regardless of client version.

We could then just write a set of tools which work with this 'unified' set of formats, and be done with (poorly) reverse engineering and emulating formats forever.

Thoughts? Am I completely off base? I've been out of the 'scene' for years, is there some obvious restriction to this I'm missing?

Tom
    uh

Номер 1

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Nice idea, would contribute

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I've been thinking about this for a LONG time actually lol. Good thing someone has finally proposed the idea.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Whats wrong with the original 317 formats, they're compact, fast, and are already supported by all 317 clients out there without (or with few) any additional modifications. Why change that which already works perfectly fine?

Donator

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Sounds like a good idea to work off of
    Attached image

Retired. Stop PMing me.

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Was thinking the same thing awhile back. Would participate in this!
    Attached image

Apocalyptism
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    For almost all of my previous client related projects, I've always adopted the same approach of simply just getting rid of any Jagex formats which stand in my way, and then just replacing it with an alternative.

There really is no reason to religiously stick to the original formats (especially if they start to become a hindrance), and I think it would be nice to try and push the community towards new unified sets of formats.
    ~ Harry
    Please bear this in mind when hearing the word 'soon' from a software programmer.

As coding software generally takes thousands of years, software programmers have developed a natural adaptation to this in the form of an altered perception of the flow of time.

Due to this, the word 'soon' when uttered by a programmer should be taken to mean 'a very, very long time from now' in the terminology used by common human specimens who have not developed such an adaptation.
    knowledge can be taught, but passion cannot.
    It's better to create something that others criticise than to create nothing and criticise others.
    Attached image

8. Thankful user:

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    this would only work if there is a set of tools and basic client (MITB 317 Deob), that uses this new format and everyone must see that it goes far beyond what the 317 client can do.

Renown Programmer

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Issue is for me is that I update very often to a more later client to keep up with current rs3 updates, such as client big fixes and such, so this wouldn't be the best idea for me, however for people who are sticking with a single version, for example 317 then it would be better as they will more likely never update to a later protocol version. The issue is with this concept is, someone who does not use your format, then the tools are useless, so it may be better to put the time of making a new format into actually figuring out the official format.

Abandoning proprietary formats

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by packersfan84 View Post
    I think perhaps a better approach is to export to a common format, which can be used more easily in external tools, but retain the original format's use inside the client. This way you could use the same editor/viewer/etc tools (maps are a bad example since you already can) across versions without introducing a new standard ( https://xkcd.com/927/ ). This basically brings the workload down to writing a set of codecs for each format - certainly much easier than editing clients.
    yeah i would much prefer tools to import and export to readable file formats, such that you can edit them in a nice tool or readable file, then pack them back to the cache in the format the client expects

could modularise it for each revision too (having an encoder and decoder for each revision)

Attached image

12. Thankful users:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information