Thread: How much would the community benefit from a mass guide?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleem View Post
    Why should people need to learn lessons about designing a framework, when there are already good servers out there with no content (Apollo, ScapeEmu). Put it like this - the main objective of a RSPS is to remake RuneScape perfectly in terms of content. How on earth is that going to be met if there are tutorials on creating your own 'framework' from scratch, instead of tutorials on writing content. If you would want to make a 'mass guide', I'd suggest you honestly do a Ruby guide, as Apollo already comes with a plugin system done in Ruby.
    I'm making a guide on how to design a framework that I design, completely written by me. Telling them how everything works. Networking with Netty, loading the cache with OpenRS, etc. Once I have a base, then I can write guides on content. I don't plan on letting people figure things out for themselves completely.

Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrium View Post
    I'm making a guide on how to design a framework that I design, completely written by me. Telling them how everything works. Networking with Netty, loading the cache with OpenRS, etc. Once I have a base, then I can write guides on content. I don't plan on letting people figure things out for themselves completely.
    If you put a lot of effort into it the outcome should be great.

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bartlett View Post
    If you put a lot of effort into it the outcome should be great.
    Thanks for the support!
    Update: beginning writing the guide tonight. Been stuck on dxp weekend, but I need a break.

Contributor

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrium View Post
    Thanks for the support!
    Update: beginning writing the guide tonight. Been stuck on dxp weekend, but I need a break.
    Pretty much learned almost everything server-sided. Right now, I would need to learn the basics of frameworks. I don't really understand the relation between client and server. Only things I understand right now is that the matrix base is basically a forced decoded version of the RS client and that it overwrites alot of data constantly based on user input to then send it to the server on the form of packets. I'm part of the minority that wants to produce a quality server but I don't feel too much safe with normal voice-to-voice tutorials/classes because I'm still not that fluent in English. This guide would definately help me.
    Project thread

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by clem585 View Post
    Pretty much learned almost everything server-sided. Right now, I would need to learn the basics of frameworks. I don't really understand the relation between client and server. Only things I understand right now is that the matrix base is basically a forced decoded version of the RS client and that it overwrites alot of data constantly based on user input to then send it to the server on the form of packets. I'm part of the minority that wants to produce a quality server but I don't feel too much safe with normal voice-to-voice tutorials/classes because I'm still not that fluent in English. This guide would definately help me.
    The main idea of this guide would essentially be to provide a solution to the struggles listed above.

In the guide, I'd explain how to find the login and ondemand details, how to make the client and server connect, refactoring various methods and files, etc. I would also provide a much cleaner and more simplistic alternative to Matrix. I've seen this issue when looking into the current choices for server downloads - either it's too complicated for most to figure out, or it's messy code that could be written much cleaner. My goal is to solve that issue, and make things more neat, and easier to understand.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I think this is a good idea, it'll benefit a lot of people.

7. Thankful user:

Success is the worst teacher

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I think people will really benefit from a tutorial like this, as I myself would love to write my own framework but just lack the knowledge in certain areas such as the cache related stuff, but obviously this guide would mainly benefit the people who have a keen interest in learning rather than the enjoyment of actually running a rsps

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Hat View Post
    I think people will really benefit from a tutorial like this, as I myself would love to write my own framework but just lack the knowledge in certain areas such as the cache related stuff, but obviously this guide would mainly benefit the people who have a keen interest in learning rather than the enjoyment of actually running a rsps
    Support from one of my favorite developers.. this guide has to be done now.

Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Don't want to use a wiki because other individuals could add potentially wrong information. Also, this doesn't tell you how to write a framework, just gives you the resources to make one. These resources aren't helpful unless you understand what they're for.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information