Thread: Digital Photography Tutorial: Project 2: Line

1. #1 Digital Photography Tutorial: Project 2: Line 
    Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Project 2: Focus on Line

In this project we will focus our attention on compositional aspects of line in nature as well as man made lines. We will look at examples that utilize line as the primary design element to make the piece successful. We will also look at series of lines, which create patterns as well as other qualities of line such as direction and structure. You may wish to use these other qualities to strengthen your composition. For example, you may want to use perspective so your pattern recedes into the distance, suggesting direction, or you may find a series of small patterns contained in a larger one, creating structure.

Spoiler for Examples:

Assignment
    Using at least two optimized images, open each file in Photoshop and perform the following:
    1. You can either take the photos with your own camera (preferred), or you may choose to find them on the internet.
    2. Optimize/enhance imagery.
    3. Select/all, edit/copy, file/new, OK, edit/paste.
    4. Under image/canvas size of the new document, double the width and height, select OK.
    5. Edit/paste another image onto the canvas, push ctrl and t at the same time to rotate the picture while holding the shift key. Select the move tool in the control palette, and select apply when done.
    6. Go back to the original and go to image/rotate canvas/flip horizontal. Select all/edit copy.
    7. Edit paste onto the big document. Move this into place. Edit paste a duplicate onto the canvas; push ctrl and t at the same time to rotate the picture while holding the shift key. Select the move tool in the control palette, and select apply when done.
    8. Selecting the appropriate layer, and using the arrow keys, please move each section into place.
    9. When done, please go to image/image size, and make sure that the document size is approximately 3.5”x5” and then recrop the image.
    10. Post below and I will do my best to provide feedback to your images.

To Optimize an image you must, Crop, Adjust Levels, and sharpen if needed (sharpen if you scanned an image. Filter/Sharpen/Sharpen). First go to File/Open, Image/Adjustments/Levels. Here you will see a graph that represents the Red, Green and Blue (RGB) or Black (K) values. Select the appropriate channel, and slide the sliders to where the information starts.

Spoiler for Example Finished Kaleidoscope Photo:

Miscellaneous
    Link to previous lesson (Project 1): http://www.rune-server.org/graphics/...mposition.html
    Learn about the different camera modes
    Link to next lesson (Project 3): Coming soon

Source: Compiled from my massive amount of notes from the classes I've taken over the years.

Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Excellent tutorial my friend! Keep up the good work.

Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
    Excellent tutorial my friend! Keep up the good work.
    Thanks! I'm very happy to see that someone is actually reading them. I'll try to get the next lesson up by the end of this week!

Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocothunda View Post
    Thanks! I'm very happy to see that someone is actually reading them. I'll try to get the next lesson up by the end of this week!
    Yeah, now if only we could get people to actually get involved with your tutorials; that'd be pretty great.

Thread Information