Thread: Git: What it is, how to use it, and why it will improve your server

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ex-Staff

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Glad someone did this, might want to add a small bit on:
    Code:
    git add -A
    Simply because I find myself using the -A option more often than not.

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Koy View Post
    Glad someone did this, might want to add a small bit on:
    Code:
    git add -A
    Simply because I find myself using the -A option more often than not.
    Can often become a bad habit as it usually leads to bad commit messages ("Add x y z a b c; Change d e f" is bad, you should split them up so it's easier to revert if necessary).

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    I was working with github recently and I ended up using this > GitHub for Windows was extremely easy to setup.

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by flimsy View Post
    I was working with github recently and I ended up using this > GitHub for Windows was extremely easy to setup.
    Very limited and a total cop-out.

Also, obviously, is GitHub exclusive.

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Very limited and a total cop-out.

Also, obviously, is GitHub exclusive.
    Can you explain how this is limited? seems to me like most features you described in your thread are implemented into the program (.gitignore etc.) . The only limited feature is the fact that it uses github.

Not to mention the pros it provides e.g create repository from the program and commit by simply typing a comment in a box and clicking commit & if you'd prefer the command line you can even use that.

Banned Git: What it is, how to use it, and why it will improve your server Market Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Can you explain how this is limited? seems to me like most features you described in your thread are implemented into the program (.gitignore etc.) . The only limited feature is the fact that it uses github.

Not to mention the pros it provides e.g create repository from the program and commit by simply typing a comment in a box and clicking commit & if you'd prefer the command line you can even use that.
    I hated using that, it ran slow on my computer and the fact I could only use it for GitHub irritated me. I use SmartGit now and it's a ton more versatile and surprisingly easier to use (once you get the hang of it of course) than GitHub for Windows

and since I'm not restricted to GitHub I can actually have private repos lol without paying

Respected Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by lare96 View Post
    I hated using that, it ran slow on my computer and the fact I could only use it for GitHub irritated me. I use SmartGit now and it's a ton more versatile and surprisingly easier to use (once you get the hang of it of course) than GitHub for Windows

and since I'm not restricted to GitHub I can actually have private repos lol without paying
    makes me cringe seeing the amount of people using ui's! I used git cli for years!

OP: nice to see someone attempting to teach people to stop using dropbox for their project hosting rep++.

8. Thankful users:

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    No, that is the limiting feature. There is so much more to git that I haven't described here, because this is supposed to be the very basics of git. GitHub for Windows also implements the very basics.

If you find clicking boxes significantly easier than typing "git init" then by all means use GitHub for Windows. But, in my opinion, it's much better to get used to command line/terminal - if you go to a job interview and say you know how to use git because you've used GitHub for windows, you'll get laughed at.

10. Thankful user:

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    No, that is the limiting feature. There is so much more to git that I haven't described here, because this is supposed to be the very basics of git. GitHub for Windows also implements the very basics.

If you find clicking boxes significantly easier than typing "git init" then by all means use GitHub for Windows. But, in my opinion, it's much better to get used to command line/terminal - if you go to a job interview and say you know how to use git because you've used GitHub for windows, you'll get laughed at.
    I wasn't saying people shouldn't use the command line or anything, I personally use both depending on which OS i'm working on. All i'm saying is the reason everyone didn't use git in the past is due to their inexperience with the command line (think of all the window users who've never experienced it before). The reason github for windows was built in the first place was to make it easier for beginners to start using git/github.

Not trying to argue with anyone saying they should use this or that. All i'm saying is there is an alternative for beginners that might feel overwhelmed by the setup .

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    A small comparison to other version control systems might be useful. And give people an idea on how Git's distribution works.
    Hyperion V2 Martin's Updates.

Scar says:
    i hate it when it hits your face

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information