Thread: Can JaGex really sue us for private servers?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fuckin PRO

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke132 View Post
    Source code isn't under the same copyright law as paintings, books etc, if i remember correctly.

It's more about the fact we break their terms & conditions by using an edited client, which in turn could give Jagex as a company or RuneScape as a product, a bad image more than 'stealing their work', and they have alot more proof we 'stole their work' than we do to argue we didn't.
    Not really, it has nothing to do with their terms and conditions.

They wouldn't be able to prove someone went to their site before having a server, although its obvious there would be no way to prove it so they could never use that in court.

But they can't sue you regardless of what you do, only dmca you to take the shit down.

This is of course speaking about the US, I don't know about the uk or other countries with their new garbage copyright laws.

Quote Originally Posted by blakeman8192 View Post
    The client and cache are illegal, period. They are reverse-engineered and totally break copyright of Jagex physical source-code property. Also, our servers, unless licensed via GPL or some similar license which states that the server is not intended for any particular purpose, are illegal because they emulate the RuneScape protocol which is copyrighted Jagex intellectual property.

Which is why we're all so lucky that wL released the very first base under the GPL license, which protects everyone that uses any winterlove based server. Mind you, however, that because of the copyright held by wL and the licensing of the GPL of winterlove/blakescape servers, that if you release any part of your server, you legally must release all of it 100% open-source, or else you forfeit your copyright/holding of the license and then are breaking copyright laws against the original server creator, wL, simply by modifying the server code alone.

Clients are still entirely illegal though, so they must be hosted off shores with some non-DMCA compliant country.

/thread
    You act like the kid who created wL would actually even attempt to take legal action against someone.

lol'd.
    Free Filehost Premium Accounts
    Click Here

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Oh well , project annihilation is hosted in Iran, so i think were safe
    Shawshank Redemption.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

They wouldn't be able to prove someone went to their site before having a server, although its obvious there would be no way to prove it so they could never use that in court.

But they can't sue you regardless of what you do, only dmca you to take the shit down.

This is of course speaking about the US, I don't know about the uk or other countries with their new garbage copyright laws.

You act like the kid who created wL would actually even attempt to take legal action against someone.

lol'd.

STFU. It's plain and simple just STFU
    Shawshank Redemption.

'Brett
    It doesn't matter, Jagex has all legal rights to the Client Cache we use. the pics we use. and all the mapdata, it all theirs. the Source code however isn't. take normal 317's for example they dont have that copyrighted anymore thay cant do shit abut it, only 500+ witch is what they use now.

Banned

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Brett View Post
    It doesn't matter, Jagex has all legal rights to the Client Cache we use. the pics we use. and all the mapdata, it all theirs. the Source code however isn't. take normal 317's for example they dont have that copyrighted anymore thay cant do shit abut it, only 500+ witch is what they use now.
    I don't remember the 200 year copyright timeframe expiring.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    our servers still have copyrighted material in it
    Computer Science Graduate, Java Expert
    Need help with something? PM me

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I don't remember the 200 year copyright timeframe expiring.
    I always thought it was 70+ years plus the life of company/author.
    Don't worry, Be happy.

Programmer, Contributor, RM and Veteran

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke132 View Post
    Source code isn't under the same copyright law as paintings, books etc, if i remember correctly.

It's more about the fact we break their terms & conditions by using an edited client, which in turn could give Jagex as a company or RuneScape as a product, a bad image more than 'stealing their work', and they have alot more proof we 'stole their work' than we do to argue we didn't.
    Source code is considered literary work, so it is under the same copyright law.

There would be ways to prove it (all they'd do is ask your ISP for your IP and then compare it with their log files.

And they could sue you for damages. You can sue anyone for anything, even if it's something completely stupid. Whether you win or not is another thing.

lol'd.
    Better to be safe.

The client code is copyrighted as well. And the copyright won't expire for a good amount of time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by G0nzo View Post
    our servers still have copyrighted material in it
    Very true: the Stream/ISAAC cipher in Winterlove are from the client. Hyperion's are not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I always thought it was 70+ years plus the life of company/author.
    It depends on the country, type of work, etc.

However:

The best thing is to ASK A LAWYER!

The people in this community (unless we have a lawyer hidden among us) cannot give real legal advice.

Registered Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    This thread actually made me feel like i was stealing from Jagex

Totally Pro

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by J a y View Post
    This thread actually made me feel like i was stealing from Jagex
    you should go back to runescape then.

advertising without affiliate is rude

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast