Thread: Orion Framework (initial release)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Orion Framework (initial release) 
    Renown Programmer and Respected Member
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    For the past couple of days I have been working on a new framework. The reason I started writing a new framework is that I came across few roadblocks within my old designs and for this framework I've changed the design drastically.

Currently the project's hierarchy looks like this:

NOTE: This framework is in an early stage of development and should be considered to be used when you want a learning experience or a stable base to start from almost complete scratch. The basics of this framework are written very well, but it has no content so far.

The framework is documented troughout almost all methods and classes. Note here that some javadocs are outdated as I did not update them when I changed minor and major things.

Thread model.

There are three major tasks being performed within the framework (exluding netty's networking):
    1. Packet handling - accessing resources
    2. Packet encoding - reading resources
    3. Game updates - reading and writing resources

Netty's first decoder will first fragment the incoming stream into multiple frames. The second decoder will create a packet object, read the stream in the given order and then call the packet's resource handling method. This handling is done on a single thread and will wait if a game update is being executed to continue.

Packet encoding is done on a multi threaded executor. Commands are executed with a neat system and object will be created and passed onto the last netty encoder. This encoder will transform the object into a ChannelBuffer and send it downstream, eventually to the remote peer.

Game updates are done on a single thread. This doesn't need alot of explanation except that a game update will wait if a packet is being handled before it starts executing its actual logic. The game update will use the packet encoding executor for its encoding demands.

Usage.

As explained before, this framework doesn't include any actual game logic handling. All it provides is a neat packet decoding and encoding system with smart logic separation. Future releases will contain a fully functional game update system and some handled pre login and in game packets. So far it's designed to work with all the RT3 and RT4 engines. Future releases might contain a login server and maybe an upgrade to work with the RT5 engines (with of course a lobby server and a full gpi update system).

If used to gain some ideas to involve in your own framework or if you have any constructive criticism please let me know. If you find any bugs I'd be glad to be pointed towards them. Anyone complaining about my names, stand up if it might be any constructive.

Features.

- Update protocol ; Sending reference tables checksum works fine, normal file requests still need some work and a new system.

- Cache reader ; Used for the update protocol and reading cache files, currently succesfully reads all object definitions.

- Complete networking, core handling etc.

Download.

Download Orion Framework.rar (initial release) here

This release is the initial release.

Download Orion Framework.rar REV#1

This release contains some improvements on my netty implementation as pointed out by Method.

Download Orion Framework.rar REV#2

Added some pre login packets, client will now load normally.

Download Orion Framework.rar REV#3

Added a cache file system to read the cache and use the update protocol. Not that you will have a cache to have this working, the cache files should be in "data/cache/packed/". This version has a bug in the file request parser, the client won't accept the normal files. It will read the reference table checksum properly from the cache and the client will accept it. The object definition loader works a 100% but the landscape file loader needs some fixes. Also the update system I've applied needs to be ported to one of my old systems, as this one is not a 100% accurate.
    Just don't use the update server yet, except for the 'update keys' calculation. Make sure your client has a cache to read.

Download Orion Framework.rar REV#4

Update server file pushing is now moved to a single thread to ensure the order the files are sent in. Still need to fix the file request encoding.

Download Orion Framework.rar REV#5

Added RSA decryption to the login block.

Credits:

Method - used his refactored client as a reference + constructive criticism.
    Other - some credits are in the framework although there are not many.

Donator

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    good job maxi

Community Veteran

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    nice base

Hi.

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Great fucking job Maxi .

Renown Programmer
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    The first thing that stands out is that your pipeline seems poorly designed. Your encoders and (more importantly) decoders should be before the handler in your pipeline, which should be the one performing the necessary handling/processing on the received data.

PLPObjectDecoder and PLPStreamMultiplexer also seem kind of redundant. One decoder should be able to accomplish reading a complete packet and pass it on to the handler to be processed from there.

Other than that, it look like a decent start. Good luck if you plan on continuing it.

edit: Interestingly enough, I had called my own server framework Orion also. However, I haven't done much work on it anyways.
    :-)

6. Thankful user:

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    The first thing that stands out is that your pipeline seems poorly designed. Your encoders and (more importantly) decoders should be before the handler in your pipeline, which should be the one performing the necessary handling/processing on the received data.
    I placed the handler first with the intention of closing new channels that I don't want to be bound and opened (i.e. maintenace of the amount of connections from one host). If placed last in the pipeline, the decoders would first perform decoding work. Wouldn't that be a waste?

PLPObjectDecoder and PLPStreamMultiplexer also seem kind of redundant. One decoder should be able to accomplish reading a complete packet and pass it on to the handler to be processed from there.
    What I'm doing is simply splitting the message into frames in the PLPStreamMultiplexer and passing them onto the PLPObjectDecoder to be decoded into a packet object and execute its resource handling. Sometimes it happens more than one frame is sent as a packet. I see your point, but instead of passing it onto a handler (you call it a handler, but aren't they all handlers, but the one you're talking about an upstream and a downstream handler?) I pass it onto the PLPObjectDecoder which performs the creation of the packet object + its execution of handling.

Using a simple handler could be some events less, but handling a packet that contains several frames in one handler would be the same work as the PLPStreamMultiplexer does, wouldn't it?

Other than that, it look like a decent start. Good luck if you plan on continuing it.

edit: Interestingly enough, I had called my own server framework Orion also. However, I haven't done much work on it anyways.
    Thanks.

Renown Programmer
    Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    I placed the handler first with the intention of closing new channels that I don't want to be bound and opened (i.e. maintenace of the amount of connections from one host). If placed last in the pipeline, the decoders would first perform decoding work. Wouldn't that be a waste?
    The decoder doesn't handle connection messages such as those sent when a channel is opened, bound, connected, etc. Once those have been processed by the handler (your ConnectionStateHandler in this case), data sent between the client and server will be processed through the decoder, which will decode the data into a packet, and then passed onto the handler. From there, you can handle it how you please.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    What I'm doing is simply splitting the message into frames in the PLPStreamMultiplexer and passing them onto the PLPObjectDecoder to be decoded into a packet object and execute its resource handling. Sometimes it happens more than one frame is sent as a packet. I see your point, but instead of passing it onto a handler (you call it a handler, but aren't they all handlers, but the one you're talking about an upstream and a downstream handler?) I pass it onto the PLPObjectDecoder which performs the creation of the packet object + its execution of handling.

Using a simple handler could be some events less, but handling a packet that contains several frames in one handler would be the same work as the PLPStreamMultiplexer does, wouldn't it?
    The point is that you should separate the decoding and handling of a packet. A decoder should:

• See if there is any data in the buffer.
    • If so, read the opcode of the message sent.
    • See how much data the packet contains besides the opcode (if any) by checking the array you have or whatever means of storing packet information you use.
    • If all of the packet data is there, read the data and return the packet for use in the handler. Otherwise, reset the reader index to before you read the opcode (and make sure the ISAAC cipher isn't out of sync) and wait for another message.

Multiple packets sent at once should be handled fine considering Netty doesn't throw away any data unless you read bytes and forget to reset a ChannelBuffer's readerIndex.

As for handling the packet in PLPObjectDecoder, you really should have your ConnectionStateHandler doing that. Having the decoder decode a packet and handle it is more than should be done by it.
    :-)

9. Thankful user:

Registered Member

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    Might have a look at it, nice
    removed

Renown Programmer

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    good start maxi but i done my netty implement a little different in typhoon

Thanks given
    Thanks received
    The decoder doesn't handle connection messages such as those sent when a channel is opened, bound, connected, etc. Once those have been processed by the handler (your ConnectionStateHandler in this case), data sent between the client and server will be processed through the decoder, which will decode the data into a packet, and then passed onto the handler. From there, you can handle it how you please.

The point is that you should separate the decoding and handling of a packet. A decoder should:

• See if there is any data in the buffer.
    • If so, read the opcode of the message sent.
    • See how much data the packet contains besides the opcode (if any) by checking the array you have or whatever means of storing packet information you use.
    • If all of the packet data is there, read the data and return the packet for use in the handler. Otherwise, reset the reader index to before you read the opcode (and make sure the ISAAC cipher isn't out of sync) and wait for another message.

Multiple packets sent at once should be handled fine considering Netty doesn't throw away any data unless you read bytes and forget to reset a ChannelBuffer's readerIndex.

As for handling the packet in PLPObjectDecoder, you really should have your ConnectionStateHandler doing that. Having the decoder decode a packet and handle it is more than should be done by it.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me .
    Besides my netty implementation, what do you think of my logic separation and packet handling/encoding?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information