Thread: Unable to Host on Windows 8.1

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1 Unable to Host on Windows 8.1 
    Extreme Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    339
    Thanks given
    4
    Thanks received
    3
    Rep Power
    20
    Need some help.
    My XP, and 7 systems are able to host, and connect, but my Windows 8.1 system is not.

    Everything is running Java 6.
    Port forwarding worked for the other two.

    Don't know what's going on or why.
    I assume something specific to the Windows 8.1 OS.
    Not sure if it's something like/to do with IPv6, SHA2, etcetera... don't know.

    I'm thinking I have to change the network type from "Public network" to "Private network". This is not the same procedure as it was on Windows 7.
    Going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > View your active networks
    It will say what the network type is, "Public network", but it is/will only display the font/text, not a link that brings up a selection window.
    If this is the case, I'm not sure what the proper way to do this is.
    I'm assuming I will have to remove/forget the network, go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a new connection or network
    and go from there.

    Sounds like they just changed it from Home, Work, and Public to Private and Public

    Yeah, I got it fixed/figured out.

    I opened "secpol.msc" > Security Settings > Network List Manager Policies >
    on the right, select the/your network > right click on it and select properties > go to the network location tab >
    Under the location type, select/choose Private or Public
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Community Veteran


    Arch337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,872
    Thanks given
    201
    Thanks received
    320
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    998
    Why java 6 if I may ask?
    I am quite confused, did you fix your issue or not?


    "A fail act is something you do regular, but a dumb act is something you can learn from"
    Spoiler for Problem?:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Extreme Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    339
    Thanks given
    4
    Thanks received
    3
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by arch337 View Post
    did you fix your issue or not?
    I think you posted after

    Quote Originally Posted by Excavation View Post
    Yeah, I got it fixed/figured out.

    I opened "secpol.msc" > Security Settings > Network List Manager Policies >
    on the right, select the/your network > right click on it and select properties > go to the network location tab >
    Under the location type, select/choose Private or Public
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Donator

    Mythic Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    143
    Thanks given
    17
    Thanks received
    145
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Excavation View Post
    Need some help.
    My XP, and 7 systems are able to host, and connect, but my Windows 8.1 system is not.

    Everything is running Java 6.
    Port forwarding worked for the other two.

    Don't know what's going on or why.
    I assume something specific to the Windows 8.1 OS.
    Not sure if it's something like/to do with IPv6, SHA2, etcetera... don't know.

    I'm thinking I have to change the network type from "Public network" to "Private network". This is not the same procedure as it was on Windows 7.
    Going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > View your active networks
    It will say what the network type is, "Public network", but it is/will only display the font/text, not a link that brings up a selection window.
    If this is the case, I'm not sure what the proper way to do this is.
    I'm assuming I will have to remove/forget the network, go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a new connection or network
    and go from there.

    Sounds like they just changed it from Home, Work, and Public to Private and Public

    Yeah, I got it fixed/figured out.

    I opened "secpol.msc" > Security Settings > Network List Manager Policies >
    on the right, select the/your network > right click on it and select properties > go to the network location tab >
    Under the location type, select/choose Private or Public
    I'm pretty sure you can host a private server from anything that has internet connection. Even a Tesla lmao
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Extreme Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    339
    Thanks given
    4
    Thanks received
    3
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythic Dream View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can host a private server from anything that has internet connection. Even a Tesla lmao
    I don't understand the purpose for your post.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Donator

    Mythic Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    143
    Thanks given
    17
    Thanks received
    145
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Excavation View Post
    I don't understand the purpose for your post.
    Nobody understands why you would use Java 6, or even 8.1 Windows. Therefore you get half assed replies.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Extreme Donator

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    339
    Thanks given
    4
    Thanks received
    3
    Rep Power
    20
    I am throwing this on here for reference purposes if anyone needs it.
    I may make a dedicated thread if need/necessary/required, etcetera...

    Seems like just deleting from the Registry is not the only thing you do/you're supposed to do.
    If you only delete from the registry, it will still be in memory. (For wireless anyway)

    Forgetting/Removing the network
    If it's a network that connected/connects automatically

    For Windows Vista/7:
    go to: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Manage wireless networks

    Right click on the network you want to remove, and select Remove network

    For Windows 8.1:
    go to: Settings (charm) > Change PC Settings > Network > Manage known networks >

    Select the network
    Select Forget

    The Registry Editor
    (This first bit only applies to Windows 7)
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > HomeGroup > NetworkLocations >

    Under Home, if it's there, delete it.
    Under Work, if it's there, delete it.

    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > NetworkList > Profiles >

    If it's there, delete it (the folder).

    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > NetworkList > Signatures > Unmanaged

    If it's there, delete it (the folder).

    (For wireless)
    -HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Internet Settings > Wpad >

    If it's there, delete it.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Network > DataUsage > Wlan >

    Select the folder, and delete it.

    There may be some stuff I'm missing.
    This was enough for it to "reset"/reprompt a network type.

    At this point, restart your computer.

    Basically, just searching through the Registry. You can use the CTRL + F hot key/function or go to Edit > Find...

    Also, if your network is called something like, "Network", it may be a LOT harder to find in the registry because there are so many other terms called or including the text, "Network". Hopefully this makes things a little easier, or atleast gives a general idea of where things are centralized.

    Unfortunately, there isn't a single centralized, nice/tidy/clean GUI easy click of a button remove/forget for all of/the entire network. There are other steps.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Beats of Tallinn
    Valerian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,971
    Thanks given
    476
    Thanks received
    435
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    4216
    Quote Originally Posted by Excavation View Post
    I am throwing this on here for reference purposes if anyone needs it.
    I may make a dedicated thread if need/necessary/required, etcetera...

    Seems like just deleting from the Registry is not the only thing you do/you're supposed to do.
    If you only delete from the registry, it will still be in memory. (For wireless anyway)

    Forgetting/Removing the network
    If it's a network that connected/connects automatically

    For Windows Vista/7:
    go to: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Manage wireless networks

    Right click on the network you want to remove, and select Remove network

    For Windows 8.1:
    go to: Settings (charm) > Change PC Settings > Network > Manage known networks >

    Select the network
    Select Forget

    The Registry Editor
    (This first bit only applies to Windows 7)
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > HomeGroup > NetworkLocations >

    Under Home, if it's there, delete it.
    Under Work, if it's there, delete it.

    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > NetworkList > Profiles >

    If it's there, delete it (the folder).

    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > NetworkList > Signatures > Unmanaged

    If it's there, delete it (the folder).

    (For wireless)
    -HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Internet Settings > Wpad >

    If it's there, delete it.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Network > DataUsage > Wlan >

    Select the folder, and delete it.

    There may be some stuff I'm missing.
    This was enough for it to "reset"/reprompt a network type.

    At this point, restart your computer.

    Basically, just searching through the Registry. You can use the CTRL + F hot key/function or go to Edit > Find...

    Also, if your network is called something like, "Network", it may be a LOT harder to find in the registry because there are so many other terms called or including the text, "Network". Hopefully this makes things a little easier, or atleast gives a general idea of where things are centralized.

    Unfortunately, there isn't a single centralized, nice/tidy/clean GUI easy click of a button remove/forget for all of/the entire network. There are other steps.
    I have no clue why are you making this so hard for yourself.


    Reply With Quote  
     


Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)


User Tag List

Similar Threads

  1. How To Host On iTouch
    By Scratch. in forum Tutorials
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 05:29 PM
  2. Can't host on windows 95?
    By ~W.I.L.L~ in forum Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 04:40 AM
  3. Unable to host
    By ThatDarkMatter in forum Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 03:39 AM
  4. Hosting On Windows Server 6GB Ram
    By hostingforall in forum Hosting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
  5. unable to log on to server
    By West in forum Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •