Thread: Slow VPS or pc to run Intellij IDE? Quick fix

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21  
    SiteTrec Hosting

    Project's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,673
    Thanks given
    1,033
    Thanks received
    829
    Rep Power
    1072
    No one here is shaming you for helping. We're just letting you know that what you're preaching is bad practice. Yes, a lot of people do develop on their virtual servers, some in fact have no other choice but to. But realistically, it's bad practice. A virtual server shouldn't be used for production, only running the product. Do as you want though, obviously.
    DDOS PROTECTED WEB & VPS AT AN AFFORDABLE COST
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Mikan Fanboy



    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    220
    Thanks given
    433
    Thanks received
    603
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    4758
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiissmyswagb View Post
    I just want to comment as a response to the people who say developing on a VPS is bad...

    Developing on a virtual environment is extremely common in the real world! A lot of people use Citrix to manage that, hyper-v etc. All my development in environments at my last 2 work places where all done in VM's, you'd simply spin up a dev machine and start coding. The same for the testing environments.
    And for the other people, you should be using headless windows servers if you're hosting your servers. It gives you all the features you need minus the UI and is cheaper! If you're getting a Windows server with a GUI, don't just get it so you can double click a run.bat and transfer your files across using Mediafire (or whatever). OP is very acceptable.

    Do not flame the OP for providing a very relevant solution to a real world problem. (OP: the settings need to be tailored properly as they're wrong for a "2GB" VPS)
    There's a big difference between using a VM with relatively unlimited resources for the purpose of maintaining a consistent development environment and using some Windows VPS running Eclipse/IntelliJ because the person is too, um, less-than-smart to know how to run their game in production without some giant monolithic IDE.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Spoiler for aaaa:




    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. Thankful users:


  4. #23  
    Extreme Donator


    Rythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Age
    28
    Posts
    358
    Thanks given
    294
    Thanks received
    165
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Project View Post
    A virtual server shouldn't be used for production, only running the product. Do as you want though, obviously.
    Thats so hilarious because this entire time ive been saying this thread is for "running" the server. Please find the part where it states "this tut is for development*. This is WHY I'm confused yeah sure, I shouldn't run rsps in IDE, this is new to me as literally most of my friends list hosts with the IDE on the vps for uhm like past 8 years lol :/

    Like it says clearly but surely as day:



    I think people need to read it a bit better at what I'm trying to help with first before saying their parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    because the person is too, um, less-than-smart to know how to run their game in production without some giant monolithic IDE.
    well jumping to conclusions stating things like less than smart was kind of dick ish thing to say especially for anyone, just because I don't spend a decade on this IDE and ain't used to this new rsps stuff doesn't mean we're less than others, we all come from the same direction. Last time I worked on RSPS was in 2013-2017, so give me a break because back then I don't think gradle/maven projects were around.

    Non of this extra program shit was needed, no sql was needed, it was good times.

    And for the record, by any means I ain't here trying to pick a fight. I do have rights to speak my opinions to and state my point, love to all
    Last edited by Rythe; 04-09-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #24  
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    318
    Thanks given
    110
    Thanks received
    73
    Rep Power
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    There's a big difference between using a VM with relatively unlimited resources for the purpose of maintaining a consistent development environment and using some Windows VPS running Eclipse/IntelliJ because the person is too, um, less-than-smart to know how to run their game in production without some giant monolithic IDE.
    This is so wrong though. Here's a screenshot of the dev machine I was given for consistent development.




    Quote Originally Posted by Project View Post
    A virtual server shouldn't be used for production, only running the product.
    What are you talking about? Virtualisation is used by practically everyone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. Thankful user:


  7. #25  
    ✥Augury RSPS - Soon✥

    TeJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    612
    Thanks given
    199
    Thanks received
    263
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    1450
    Tbh not sure what's wrong with this thread.
    All he did is teach people how to speed up their IDE and people (as usual) are giving things a new turn.
    Even if it is a bad habit coding on a vps, that's not the point he is tryna tell, maybe you hop on ur vps quickly to do a few changes and then hop off, who knows. And maybe u dont know how to use git or don't want to learn because there's many lazy people I see that don't.
    Anyways who cares. I could probably use this thread for my pc too when it's slow. Not all of us have good lappys.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Spoiler for Services:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. Thankful users:


  9. #26  
    Extreme Donator


    Rythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Age
    28
    Posts
    358
    Thanks given
    294
    Thanks received
    165
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
    Tbh not sure what's wrong with this thread.
    All he did is teach people how to speed up their IDE and people (as usual) are giving things a new turn.
    Even if it is a bad habit coding on a vps, that's not the point he is tryna tell, maybe you hop on ur vps quickly to do a few changes and then hop off, who knows. And maybe u dont know how to use git or don't want to learn because there's many lazy people I see that don't.
    Anyways who cares. I could probably use this thread for my pc too when it's slow. Not all of us have good lappys.
    I myself apparently couldn’t explain this as good as you. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiissmyswagb View Post
    This is so wrong though. Here's a screenshot of the dev machine I was given for consistent development.






    What are you talking about? Virtualisation is used by practically everyone.
    That’s the cpu I’m rolling with atm but 2gb
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #27  
    what the dog doin

    mikan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    933
    Thanks given
    702
    Thanks received
    743
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    4941
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiissmyswagb View Post
    This is so wrong though. Here's a screenshot of the dev machine I was given for consistent development.






    What are you talking about? Virtualisation is used by practically everyone.
    one is windows server, the other is a windows vm they've given to you to have a consistent development environment.. in no universe should you be using an IDE on the machine you're hosting your game from because you don't know how to jar files
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #28  
    Mikan Fanboy



    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    220
    Thanks given
    433
    Thanks received
    603
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    4758
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiissmyswagb View Post
    This is so wrong though. Here's a screenshot of the dev machine I was given for consistent development.






    What are you talking about? Virtualisation is used by practically everyone.
    Nice, glad your company can't afford to give you more than 4GB of memory. However, it's not a super common situation considering software engineer salaries and such; asking for a few more gigabytes of memory is generally the least of their concerns, especially if it increases your productivity. Everywhere I've worked, even in Russia, I've always just been able to request more resources.

    That's not really the point, though. The point is that people in RSPS /don't/ use virtualization for that purpose, generally. What is infinitely more common is people renting cheap Windows virtual servers and then using them as both a development and production environment. They'll be running their live server through things like Eclipse debug mode because they don't know any better.

    I feel like I am repeating myself. Again: there is a big difference between using a VM that you can snapshot, distribute to your coworkers, etc, and misusing some Windows VPS that you've rented.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Spoiler for aaaa:




    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. Thankful user:


  13. #29  
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    318
    Thanks given
    110
    Thanks received
    73
    Rep Power
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by cis priviledge View Post
    one is windows server, the other is a windows vm they've given to you to have a consistent development environment.. in no universe should you be using an IDE on the machine you're hosting your game from because you don't know how to jar files
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    Nice, glad your company can't afford to give you more than 4GB of memory. However, it's not a super common situation considering software engineer salaries and such; asking for a few more gigabytes of memory is generally the least of their concerns, especially if it increases your productivity. Everywhere I've worked, even in Russia, I've always just been able to request more resources.

    That's not really the point, though. The point is that people in RSPS /don't/ use virtualization for that purpose, generally. What is infinitely more common is people renting cheap Windows virtual servers and then using them as both a development and production environment. They'll be running their live server through things like Eclipse debug mode because they don't know any better.

    I feel like I am repeating myself. Again: there is a big difference between using a VM that you can snapshot, distribute to your coworkers, etc, and misusing some Windows VPS that you've rented.
    We're actually upgrading the VM's to Win10 soon
    I'm also contracted at London Stock Exchange who use a different VM, I can screenshot the specs if you are curious on Monday when I'm in the office. Their machines are SHIT.

    As for your points:

    1. It's not uncommon for people to code on their VPSs in the RSPS world. We see it all the time and the OP is a prime example. And yeah I agree with your point that it is because they don't know better.
    2. Snapshots etc., is no longer a problem. Most providers allow snapshotting (e.g. GoDaddy, Heroku, Google Cloud, OVH, ) if that's what you need and they support up-scaling. Additionally, you're not abusing a VPS by installing Eclipse/Intellij and developing on it.
    Performance isn't terrible, Eclipse especially doesn't really lag on the low spec machines (from experience). Intellij can be tuned.

    I have no issue with people coding on their VPS and running their servers through their IDE's especially if they have the resources to do so.

    I'll accept some real counter arguments if people wish to provide that is applicable to current RSPS owners and their current processes.
    Otherwise, let's end the conversation here.
    Last edited by Kiissmyswagb; 04-09-2021 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Double quoted by accident
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #30  
    Extreme Donator


    Rythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Age
    28
    Posts
    358
    Thanks given
    294
    Thanks received
    165
    Discord
    View profile
    Rep Power
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    Nice, glad your company can't afford to give you more than 4GB of memory. However, it's not a super common situation considering software engineer salaries and such; asking for a few more gigabytes of memory is generally the least of their concerns, especially if it increases your productivity. Everywhere I've worked, even in Russia, I've always just been able to request more resources.

    That's not really the point, though. The point is that people in RSPS /don't/ use virtualization for that purpose, generally. What is infinitely more common is people renting cheap Windows virtual servers and then using them as both a development and production environment. They'll be running their live server through things like Eclipse debug mode because they don't know any better.

    I feel like I am repeating myself. Again: there is a big difference between using a VM that you can snapshot, distribute to your coworkers, etc, and misusing some Windows VPS that you've rented.
    But the thing is tho Omar, I never mentioned this tutorial was meant for development or to code on your rsps. I strictly said might be handy for those running Kronos (which I haven't seen anyone run without using an IDE). When you import a project generally you need to build it.

    And then again, none of us have to purchase a bigger vps. In this persons particular case, they are looking to have around 10 players active. Do you really need a 4gb+ vps to manage this? Not really...

    If you had 1000 players I'd say start upgrading to bigger plan but if your project isn't going to host a lot of players, whats the big deal then.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)


User Tag List

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2014, 06:31 PM
  2. Linux Vps (GEtting it to run)
    By Infected-Pkz in forum Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 10:26 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 12:10 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •